Best Buy invites customers to 'discover' Apple's iWork '11 this Saturday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It's not a part of iWork, and was neglected in the latest iLife update.

Yes, But, I suppose some of us (me included) are hoping that iWeb may be moved to the iWork suite.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Uh, buying more than one license for software on the Mac App Store is wholly unnecessary. You pay once and you can install it on all your Macs without paying again, and receive all the updates for free Automagically*.

*Unless a new Version is submitted as a new, separate App to the Store.

The problem with this is when you have family members who maintain their own iTunes/AppleID - previously, I could still put the software on their computers as one of the 5 allowed installs.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

iWeb is part of iLife, not iWork. The latest iLife 11 did come with it.

Yes, but iWeb was hardly touched. Looks like Apple is abandoning it, just as they seem to be abandoning iDVD.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    I wonder when they will add another app from the MS Office suite into iWork. Word, Excel, and Powerpoint are already there. Outlook isn't needed thanks to Mail and iCal. Perhaps OneNote? or Publisher?
  • Reply 25 of 43
    I use iWeb for my real estate website and have been very pleased with its ease of use and good looks. It's a typical Apple program. Very well laid out and elegant. Somewhat limiting, though.

I think Apple is abandoning it because the "youth" aren't building their own websites...they're using Facebook and youtube.

Best
  • Reply 26 of 43
    "Update: Best Buy Mexico has since changed all references to iWork '11 to iWork '09."

Atrocious the editing of this blog is.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Yes, But, I suppose some of us (me included) are hoping that iWeb may be moved to the iWork suite.

What would be the difference (assuming you buy both)?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

I wonder when they will add another app from the MS Office suite into iWork. Word, Excel, and Powerpoint are already there. Outlook isn't needed thanks to Mail and iCal. Perhaps OneNote? or Publisher?

Publisher -- now that would be redundant, since Pages already does more in the department. The missing piece, if you want to call it that, is a lightweight database.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cronked View Post

"Update: Best Buy Mexico has since changed all references to iWork '11 to iWork '09."

This doesn't make any sense. The website still says the "nuevo" (new) iWork and why would they be holding a special event this Saturday for two-year-old software?
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I use iWeb for my real estate website and have been very pleased with its ease of use and good looks. It's a typical Apple program. Very well laid out and elegant. Somewhat limiting, though.

I think Apple is abandoning it because the "youth" aren't building their own websites...they're using Facebook and youtube.

Best

I think your analysis is correct. But as another has noted, Apple just posted an update to iWeb, so it is not completely moribund at this point. They are at least squashing bugs if not adding features.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Thanks Robin...I just downloaded it!

Best
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Best

I also really like the ease of iWeb. Who said Apple is abandoning it??
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

It's just the current rumor, from those who were disappointed that it wasn't updated with the last release of iLife.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:

It's just the current rumor, from those who were disappointed that it wasn't updated with the last release of iLife.

Or the version of iLife before that. Or the one before that...
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

It's not on the Mac App store.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or the version of iLife before that. Or the one before that...

Nope. It is now at version 3.0. It's been updated with every iLife upgrade since it was introduced with iLife 06, except the latest one.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:

Nope. It is now at version 3.0. It's been updated with every iLife upgrade since it was introduced with iLife 06, except the latest one.

Hmm... What were the changes between versions? I remember zero. Particularly between '08 and '09.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm... What were the changes between versions? I remember zero. Particularly between '08 and '09.

Can't say for sure, but they weren't huge. New template sets for sure, and a few other minor enhancements.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:

Can't say for sure, but they weren't huge. New template sets for sure, and a few other minor enhancements.

All the more reason we need a new iWeb. HTML5/CSS3 drag-&-droppables and some more custom Javascript widgets like the... what, EIGHT of them available now.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    FWIW, I'd like to see iWeb get a major upgrade too, but I'm not so alarmed by the lack of an update in the last iLife cycle that I'm assuming that it's been abandoned. I think this is more a function of all the projects Apple has on its plate these days, and the setting of priorities.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:

FWIW, I'd like to see iWeb get a major upgrade too, but I'm not so alarmed by the lack of an update in the last iLife cycle that I'm assuming that it's been abandoned. I think this is more a function of all the projects Apple has on its plate these days, and the setting of priorities.

I think it also reflects where Apple is relative to their HTML5 implementation. They will want that sorted and available in Safari before updating iWeb.