Apple's Steve Jobs to meet with President Obama on Thursday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I think the reason's pretty clear. And anyone who pretends not to understand the reason is delusional.

Hmm. I reckon the reason is getting less clear. I could be cheeky and suggest all the unemployed people could get minimum wage but...

Seriously, why can't manufacturing be brought back to base. I reckon that is on the Apple radar. Automated lines pumping out bits with skilled workers overseeing. It would crush leaks, create uber optimizations, solar powered dark factory. But...

There could be materials shipping issues. I suspect over time the raw materials have concentrated into Asia and it might simply cost too much to ship them. A friend and I worked out some very rough figures. Even just the raw glass for idevices, you'd need so much in motion it would either require a train line or trucks just pumping.

Consider how much glass apple requires daily to keep the line chugging.
  • Reply 22 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Maybe the president will inquire about those Made In Shenzhen/Assembled by Foxconn 'working conditions', and why more of those jobs can't be done in America?

I'm a business owner and worship the great American flag which allows me to freely do so. I hate saying this because it sounds completely anti-American but a significant factor, IMHO, is that they (Foxconn/Chinese) take more pride in their work, produce consistently (almost) perfect product, and will do it for less pay.

Americans have the attitude that they are entitled to do as little work as possible for the most amount of pay....

...and it's getting worse because of the very products they (China) produce.

Between social networking apps, talking, texting and everything else it's capable of doing, American workers waste billions and billions of employer dollars stealing time on their smartphone. It's really sad. With all the wasted time, how can we even think we can compete?
  • Reply 23 of 121
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I hate saying this because it sounds completely anti-American but a significant factor, IMHO, is that they (Foxconn/Chinese) take more pride in their work, produce consistently (almost) perfect product, and will do it for less pay.

China manipulates their currency to keep prices artificially low and the workers get paid peanuts over there. I'm surprised more of them don't commit suicide. I doubt that the Chinese workers take more pride in their work. The cost of getting something made in China is dirt cheap compared to other places with civilized wages. Unless somebody is using actual slave labor, it's hard to compete with that.
  • Reply 24 of 121
    Anti Business? Been watching Fox news again?

Considering Wall Street and the Banks and AIG all got bailed out, how is he anti-business?

Has ANYONE on Wall Street involved in Credit Default Swaps or any of the other shenanigans served time in jail?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What is the great Steve Jobs doing meeting with that loser for? Apple is a very successful company, one of the biggest, and Obama is anti-business. If I were Steve, I'd rather spend a few hours visiting a horrible Microsoft Store instead of meeting with Obama.

• Reply 25 of 121
    Foxconn workers are paid the equivalent of $299 per YEAR.

Stop lying about US Workers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I'm a business owner and worship the great American flag which allows me to freely do so. I hate saying this because it sounds completely anti-American but a significant factor, IMHO, is that they (Foxconn/Chinese) take more pride in their work, produce consistently (almost) perfect product, and will do it for less pay.

Americans have the attitude that they are entitled to do as little work as possible for the most amount of pay....

...and it's getting worse because of the very products they (China) produce.

Between social networking apps, talking, texting and everything else it's capable of doing, American workers waste billions and billions of employer dollars stealing time on their smartphone. It's really sad. With all the wasted time, how can we even think we can compete?

• Reply 26 of 121
    Yes, who needs "investment" in roads, bridges, infrastructure.

And to be competitive in a world economy we should obviously stop funding schools and public education. Lets all keep all our money for ourselves. Lets stay dependent on oil and make zero investments in R&D, because I mean who needs computers, telecommunications, the Internet, satellites, and the majority of advances funded by our government.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

YAWN! "promoting American innovation" by indebting generations into the future... aka "investments in research and development, education and clean energy". Can you say "quantitative easing" -- yes that means INFLATION!

Whenever you read or hear "investments", like in the State of the Union address, it means INFLATION! I hate to tell everyone, but the US is sinking in debt, borrowing money like a drunken sailor, and "investments" only mean MORE DEBT which ultimately means a lower standard of living in the US. It's not about "jobs", it's about bigger government involvement in redistributing more stolen money from We The People. It is the middle class that is targeted for destruction in this nation -- transfer payments must be halted -- yes, that also includes transfers payments (corporate welfare) to companies.

Did you all notice how basic things like food and energy prices keep going up?! Yes, that's the inflation, due to "investment".

Government should get OUT of education -- clearly something left to the States or We The People in the Constitution. So obviously NO federal dollars stolen from We The People should be redistributed to schools for Apple products either.

Enough is enough, smaller government is the solution.

Everyone here would be well-served to learn more about the Constitution:

http://constitutingamerica.org/

• Reply 27 of 121
    As a Brit can anyone tell me is Obama what they used to call a Collectivist?

P.S - As a Brit I view America as the greatest and freest nation that has ever existed on earth - shame ALL Americans don't.
  • Reply 28 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

I'd imagine Obama wants to ask these tech titans if they could contribute to paying down our national deficit. But then, he will really use the donations to fund entitlements in the ultimate demonstration of wealth redistribution. LOL

Knowing and having been around Steve your type of remarks would only be met with a scathing retort and basically having him ask who is this idiot wasting everybody's time.

He'd want to know what you do for the company because it isn't being the class clown. Save that for a political site.
  • Reply 29 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

i mean, never mind that those patriots reagan and bush deux are the two presidents that got the us into the massive amount of debt they are in. I mean come on. We had to finance massive tax cuts for the rich and fight godless communism and islamofascism. But now the $10 trillion of debt were are in is all the fault of "president" osama - i mean obama. Jeez. He wasn't even born in america. What does he know about red meat eating, flag waving america? Nothing. And the middle class, of course obama is targeting that. Forget that the middle class has been stagnant since the mid-1970s, while the income of the top 1% in the us has grown stratospherically. Its all obama! Now i'm off to watch that patriot glen beck on fox news - the only channel i watch, except for when i have my head shoved up my own ass.

sometimes the quotes get funny and other times it gets obnoxious !

I don't know where this comment fits in !!
  • Reply 30 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Zuckerberg? He builds ONE website that goes viral and now he's meeting the president? I mean, Steve Jobs only had to start TWO technology revolutions and get his face on the cover of Time Magazine twice to get to this point. Where are the standards? And Schmidt? Don't even get me started.

Maybe Obama's gonna ask these guys why he can't get iTunes, GMail, or Facebook on his Zune and Blackberry

I don't get the Zuckerberg invite. Unless the govt plans on find more ways to infiltrate your life.

http://reface.me/wp-content/uploads/...zuckerberg.jpg
  • Reply 31 of 121
    Amen!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeolian View Post

wow. What if i told you that the government isn't controlling anything. Perhaps it's the banking system... Check it out. Don't ever blame a political party for something you don't like until you research it.

• Reply 32 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Maybe the president will inquire about those Made In Shenzhen/Assembled by Foxconn 'working conditions', and why more of those jobs can't be done in America?

They can't be done in America because you won't pay 3400 dollars for an iPad and neither will anyone else.
  • Reply 33 of 121
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I sincerely hope Steve is beginning to get better and all else being discussed here is irrelevant to me at this point.
  • Reply 34 of 121
    eric??? you gotta be kidding me. although he did do wonders for Novell and has worked his a$$ off to try and run google into the ground. unfortunately for him they had too much money and a great business model already in place. still, he did push them to new lows in many ways. he can leave google with his head held high knowing that it will take a lot of work for google to recover any semblance of trust.
  • Reply 35 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

I'd imagine Obama wants to ask these tech titans if they could contribute to paying down our national deficit. But then, he will really use the donations to fund entitlements in the ultimate demonstration of wealth redistribution. LOL

LOL - and from a fellow Texan!
  • Reply 36 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

YAWN! "promoting American innovation" by indebting generations into the future... aka "investments in research and development, education and clean energy". Can you say "quantitative easing" -- yes that means INFLATION!

Whenever you read or hear "investments", like in the State of the Union address, it means INFLATION! I hate to tell everyone, but the US is sinking in debt, borrowing money like a drunken sailor, and "investments" only mean MORE DEBT which ultimately means a lower standard of living in the US. It's not about "jobs", it's about bigger government involvement in redistributing more stolen money from We The People. It is the middle class that is targeted for destruction in this nation -- transfer payments must be halted -- yes, that also includes transfers payments (corporate welfare) to companies.

Did you all notice how basic things like food and energy prices keep going up?! Yes, that's the inflation, due to "investment".

Government should get OUT of education -- clearly something left to the States or We The People in the Constitution. So obviously NO federal dollars stolen from We The People should be redistributed to schools for Apple products either.

Enough is enough, smaller government is the solution.

Everyone here would be well-served to learn more about the Constitution:

http://constitutingamerica.org/

Go hang out with the Constitutional Party. They're looking for a few good theocrats.
  • Reply 37 of 121
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I sincerely hope Steve is beginning to get better and all else being discussed here is irrelevant to me at this point.

Perhaps if there had been more competition in healthcare over the years there would be a cure for cancer by now. Perhaps Steve should put that to Obama.
  • Reply 38 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surferfromuk View Post

As a Brit can anyone tell me is Obama what they used to call a Collectivist?

P.S - As a Brit I view America as the greatest and freest nation that has ever existed on earth - shame ALL Americans don't.

I don't think that would be the correct label because it implies communism (somewhat of a marxist view point) and in his case although he does speak of groups a lot the emphasis (I think) is on the individual not the group. I was not an Obama supporter during the election, however as the president of the US I do support him (not unconditionally or unilaterally) but I do believe he is sincere in his hopes for freedom, health and peace for the individual - but it is very typical to track these folks as groups. I do believe (as many do in the Democratic party) that he believes in wealth redistribution and although says he doesn't he doesn't believe in putting a penalty on 'those that can afford more' I think he really does not mind it at all. In his (and others minds) its OK to take away from those that have worked hard to make their money (or those fortunate enough to have someone else in there lives that did) as long as it is to help the poor or some other group he wants to help. I personally think that is what charities are for and that we would all pay less if we paid a flat tax. I digress and this topic is one that really should e handled offline or in another forum. Cheers.
  • Reply 39 of 121
    Quote:

I mean, never mind that those patriots Reagan and Bush Deux are the two presidents that got the US into the massive amount of debt they are in. I mean come on. We had to finance massive tax cuts for the rich and fight godless communism and Islamofascism. But now the $10 trillion of debt were are in is all the fault of "president" Osama - I mean Obama. Jeez. He wasn't even born in America. What does he know about red meat eating, flag waving America? Nothing. And the middle class, of course Obama is targeting that. Forget that the middle class has been stagnant since the mid-1970s, while the income of the top 1% in the US has grown stratospherically. Its all Obama! Now I'm off to watch that patriot Glen Beck on Fox News - the only channel I watch, except for when I have my head shoved up my own ass.

I hope that bottom line is a joke. Glen Beck is a raving lunatic R-tard... Who in their right mind can watch this guy and think, "yeah he's totally right." instead of what most think... "holy crap who gave this moron air time?"
  • Reply 40 of 121
    Judge Andrew Napolitano's Freedom Watch and John Stossel's show Stossel on Fox Business Channel (or http://patriotsnetwork.com streaming) are much better choices than Beck. Beck is 1/2 phony neocon and 1/2 libertarian pretender -- he used to attack Ron Paul -- Beck cannot be trusted, but does occasionally have some good content.

Quote:

I mean, never mind that those patriots Reagan and Bush Deux are the two presidents that got the US into the massive amount of debt they are in. I mean come on. We had to finance massive tax cuts for the rich and fight godless communism and Islamofascism. But now the $10 trillion of debt were are in is all the fault of "president" Osama - I mean Obama. Jeez. He wasn't even born in America. What does he know about red meat eating, flag waving America? Nothing. And the middle class, of course Obama is targeting that. Forget that the middle class has been stagnant since the mid-1970s, while the income of the top 1% in the US has grown stratospherically. Its all Obama! Now I'm off to watch that patriot Glen Beck on Fox News - the only channel I watch, except for when I have my head shoved up my own ass.