Wi-Fi

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi. First of all I'm sorry if this thread is already posted, I really don't know how to describe my problem in a few words to try and search it.

Second of all, I'm from Argentina so forgive my English if it isn't great.

Last week I started to notice that mi iPhone 4 doesn't recognize all wi fi networks available in one area. Yesterday I asked a friend to bring his iPod touch and inside a shopping, his ipod showed 6 wi fi networks (my iphone none). My home wi fi network appears only when I'm ridiculously close to the modem.

I'm strarting to get really annoyed, because just 30 minutes ago, I called MacStation Argentina (kind of a official distribuitor here) and they told me that even if my international warranty hasn't expired, they provide technical service for all products except (guess....) iPhones.

Please tell me this ISN'T a hardware problem.

I tried restoring it from iTunes, restoring network setting (or something like that), and I am still having the same problems.

("Ask to join networks" is on...)

I appreciate ANY help, thanks a lot,

Juan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    if a restore didnt help, then it sounds like a hardware problem. the antenna lead may have simply come off the board. if you're handy with miniature electronics (i'm asian, so i'm good with small things. *rimshot*) you can always take it apart and at least see if the lead is still connected to the board, and if not, just press it gently back onto it's socket.

you can find the instructions on www.ifixit.com
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Thanks, I'm already checking ifixit, thinking if I dare open mi iPhone or not....

Just a thought: could it be a point in the middle? Because, as I explained, if I place the phone right next to my modem, it gets it's signal. So... I guess it can't be totally disconnecte.

Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jf.armando View Post

Thanks, I'm already checking ifixit, thinking if I dare open mi iPhone or not....

Just a thought: could it be a point in the middle? Because, as I explained, if I place the phone right next to my modem, it gets it's signal. So... I guess it can't be totally disconnecte.

Thanks!

just because the antenna is disconnected doesnt mean wifi will stop working completely, thus a disconnected antenna could cause the symptoms you're describing.

as for the antenna itself, it's either connected or it isnt. and even if it's disconnected, the device will still receive a signal... just at a severely reduced range. are you not familiar with what an antenna's purpose is?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Judging from what you just said, I'd say the antenna amplifies the wi fi, reception. I think it's obvious I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff, very good at learning though.

Well, if it is in fact a hardware problem, my options are the following three:

1) Asking a random service guy in Argentina to do the work for me, with no gurantee of anything, voiding apple's warranty and of caurse having to pay for it.

2) Open the iPhone it myself (seems tricky, I'm not sure), also voiding the warranty but free.

3) Wait for a friend who lives in Washington to come here in March, give her my iPhone so she takes it to an official Apple service; the risk of this third option being the cost of the shipping back to Argentina (she travels once a year) and probably taxes (Argentinian taxes are insanely high for electronic devices) if I can't prove the phone is actually mine and not a purchase from the US.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I'm not sure I followed the last two comments...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jf.armando View Post

I'm not sure I followed the last two comments...

Because they're spambots that need to be reported and deleted. I already have, so you try it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Ok Thanks, I've reported both of them.

My friend in the US just told me that she has had problems with her iPhone 3GS before, and when they had to open the device, they (Apple) charged her for the repair (she said "expensive" in Spanish -> "Un poco caro"). She didn't tell me if she had the warranty or not, I'm just asking if anyone knows if my type of (I suppose hardware...) problem is coverd by the warranty.

Thanks!