NYT says Apple not working on smaller iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In contrast to published reports suggesting Apple plans to release a smaller version of the iPhone this summer, sources have told The New York Times that Apple is not developing a smaller handset, though the company has looked into a cheaper version of the device.

Earlier reports claimed Apple had already developed a prototype version of a smaller, cheaper iPhone. According to Bloomberg, the prototype was one-third smaller than the current-generation iPhone 4. The Wall Street Journal cited sources who described the device as "about half the size of iPhone 4."

However, the Times is now claiming that "Apple is not currently developing a smaller iPhone, according to people briefed on Apple's plans who requested anonymity because the plans are confidential."

According to one source, Apple engineers are hard at work finishing the next-generation iPhone, "which is likely to be similar in size to the current iPhone 4."

Another source also confirmed that Apple is not currently planning a smaller iPhone partly because "a smaller device would not necessarily be much cheaper to manufacture and because it would be more difficult to operate." Also, Apple wants to avoid forcing developers to rewrite their apps, said the source, who is in direct contact with Apple.

The Times cited a senior Apple executive who said during a private meeting that making multiple iPhone models wouldn't make sense for the company, though the executive did note that the iPhone maker will continue its practice of offering older models at a discounted price.

The report did, however, corroborate details from prior reports regarding the next iPhone. Earlier this week, the Journal asserted that Apple was working on enhanced MobileMe services and improved "voice navigation."

A person with knowledge of Apple's plans told the Times that Apple hopes to improve operation of the device through voice commands because some users dislike using a virtual keyboard.

Another source said the Cupertino, Calif., company is building a "more versatile" free version of MobileMe that would allow users to sync files without using a cable. ?The goal is that your photos and other media content will eventually just sync across all your Apple devices without people having to do anything,? the person said. One recent report has suggested that Apple will use MobileMe as "the brain" of a new cloud service that hosts files on users' individual machines.

As physical storage on the iPhone becomes less critical, Apple could reduce storage in the device, thereby lowering costs. ?Although the innards of the phone, including memory size or camera quality, could change to offer a less expensive model, the size of the device would not vary,? said a person, who has worked on multiple versions of the iPhone.

According to the Times' sources, rumors that a smaller iPhone carries the code name N97 are false. "Several people with knowledge of Apple?s plans said that N97 was the code name for the Verizon iPhone 4, which was introduced this month," the report read.

According to analysts, a cheaper iPhone, especially one that does not require carrier subsidies, is critical to Apple's continued growth overseas. ?If they are going to be a player in the global market they have to have a prepaid option,? said Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster. Sanford C. Bernstein & Company analyst A. M. Sacconaghi Jr., said that a more affordable iPhone could drive as much as a sixfold increase in sales for Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Meh. It's all smoke and click baiting until it isn't.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Exactly. Many here (incl moi ) predicted it.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Another source said the Cupertino, Calif., company is building a "more versatile" free version of MobileMe that would allow users to sync files without using a cable. ?The goal is that your photos and other media content will eventually just sync across all your Apple devices without people having to do anything,? the person said. One recent report has suggested that Apple will use MobileMe as "the brain" of a new cloud service that hosts files on users' individual machines

I'm getting my first iMac this summer when the new platforms are released. Can't wait for the 27". I have been going back and forth on should i get MobileMe. I understood that the current MobileMe did the bolded statements above. I was SOLD on it. Now not so sure.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Another source said the Cupertino, Calif., company is building a "more versatile" free version of MobileMe that would allow users to sync files without using a cable. ?The goal is that your photos and other media content will eventually just sync across all your Apple devices without people having to do anything,? the person said. One recent report has suggested that Apple will use MobileMe as "the brain" of a new cloud service that hosts files on ....

MobileMe? Brain? Ugh. I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Damn, all that Photoshop for nothing.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Now, the question to be answered is will the new iPhone get a larger display with the same resolution (without increasing in size of the phone).
  • Reply 7 of 29
    But, I bet we get that slideout keyboard....... NOT
  • Reply 8 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

But, I bet we get that slideout keyboard....... NOT

They should have saved that for April 1st!
  • Reply 9 of 29
    gigigigi Posts: 65member
    I don't believe the New York Times, when the Wall Street journal say something about a future product from Apple they got 100% right for so many years in the past.

So we will have a smaller iPhone. Maybe only an iPod Phone, phone, iPod and mobile me in the cloud, that's it.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    moewmoew Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleConvertNJRob View Post

Another source said the Cupertino, Calif., company is building a "more versatile" free version of MobileMe that would allow users to sync files without using a cable. ?The goal is that your photos and other media content will eventually just sync across all your Apple devices without people having to do anything,? the person said. One recent report has suggested that Apple will use MobileMe as "the brain" of a new cloud service that hosts files on users' individual machines

I'm getting my first iMac this summer when the new platforms are released. Can't wait for the 27". I have been going back and forth on should i get MobileMe. I understood that the current MobileMe did the bolded statements above. I was SOLD on it. Now not so sure.

Nice that they are following the google model!

Also, Apple wants to avoid forcing developers to rewrite their apps, said the source, who is in direct contact with Apple.

ios is already seriously fragmented with apple. Developers have had to rewrite their apps over and over again over time. This suggests that the new release will have basically "no major changes", or it's going to be basically the same phone with maybe some software enhancements. What was that nav company they bought? I'll bet there's private jet flight plans (usually public knowledge mineable) over there unless they are in driving distance.

I'd predict for the next ip:

1. Multitasking like Android

2. Nav for free, like Android does

3. Updated Apple interface into the google maps api, like android offers

4. Voice to txt like android

5. Battery life that's legit, like moto android devices

6. ???????

7. Profit
  • Reply 11 of 29
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

Also, Apple wants to avoid forcing developers to rewrite their apps, said the source, who is in direct contact with Apple.

ios is already seriously fragmented with apple. Developers have had to rewrite their apps over and over again over time. This suggests that the new release will have basically "no major changes", or it's going to be basically the same phone with maybe some software enhancements. What was that nav company they bought? I'll bet there's private jet flight plans (usually public knowledge mineable) over there unless they are in driving distance.

6. ???????

7. Profit

I'd almost fell sorry for you but only if your stupidity was caused by a birth defect...
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

I'd almost fell sorry for you but only if your stupidity was caused by a birth defect...

Crazy isn't he? Google envy? No way.

Analysts are crazy too. They seem to think market share is everything. I like profit over marketshare.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    moewmoew Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

I feel sorry for you.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

6. ???????

7. Profit

1 (although I think Apple got it right), 2 and 4 I'd go for but you really screwed up with 5. Thank you for playing.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi View Post

I don't believe the New York Times, when the Wall Street journal say something about a future product from Apple they got 100% right for so many years in the past.

So we will have a smaller iPhone. Maybe only an iPod Phone, phone, iPod and mobile me in the cloud, that's it.

If it's thinner, than it's smaller without reducing the screen size. The original reports never said 'smaller screen' and NYT reporting Apple is not working on a smaller screen iPhone doesn't mean that they aren't working on a thinner model with the same screen size.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleConvertNJRob View Post

Another source said the Cupertino, Calif., company is building a "more versatile" free version of MobileMe that would allow users to sync files without using a cable. “The goal is that your photos and other media content will eventually just sync across all your Apple devices without people having to do anything,” the person said. One recent report has suggested that Apple will use MobileMe as "the brain" of a new cloud service that hosts files on users' individual machines

You can try it free for 60 days and see if it suits you. I love MobileMe. Currently, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks sync. Push email works great. Photos don't really sync but you can upload them to MobileMe easily and there is a nice app to view your albums. You can set the iphone and ipad to use the app (instead of safari) to view MobileMe photos and albums.

My guess is that apple adds additional syncing (photos? iTunes?). As it stands, I hardly ever connect my iphone or ipad to my mac. That's all due to MobileMe. If they make the service free, they may differentiate it from a premium paid account by how much space you get on iDisk. And they would probably make iDisk more dropbox-like as well. Just guessing though.

Frankly, this makes a lot more sense than that crazy iPhone pic circulating. People will believe just about anything.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

. . . .

ios is already seriously fragmented with apple. Developers have had to rewrite their apps over and over again over time. . . .

6. ???????

7. Profit

1). Apple did multitasking better. Why? Because it actually took its time and thought about it. Google rushed it out the door. Not saying Google screwed it completely up or anything, just generally speaking most experts agree Apple did it better. Here is a PCWorld article that talks about the differences.

2) Apple does have free turn by turn navigation. Apple doesn't provide it directly, but MapQuest's application is free, and voice turn by turn works great and is free. Apple's native map applications doesn't have voice turn by turn navigation because Apple made the mistake of relying on Google, which for competitive reasons is withholding that feature. Doesn't matter, as Map Quest's application works great.

3) Well that might be nice. However, Apple probably will have to dump Google first to improve its mapping software. That is because Google is not allowing Apple to provide the APIs you suggest. Funny really, since Google threw a hissy fit when Apple threatened to not allow its advertisements on the iPhone. That is alright, Apple did buy a mapping company that offered more innovative mapping then Google does. I am sure something is in the works.

4. Not even sure what you mean there, as you can do that on the iPhone now.

5. LOL. Seriously, Apple's battery management software is first rate.

What does 6 and 7 mean?

Further, if you mean developers had to increase the resolution of their applications if they wanted to benefit from the iPhone's retina display then yes I suppose they had to do some tinkering with their applications. Many didn't, and all the applications work fine. Enlighten us and show us where developers in mass had to rewrite their applications.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    "NYT says Apple not working on smaller iPhone"

Well THAT headline won't sell any papers! No wonder they're going under.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

If it's thinner, than it's smaller without reducing the screen size. The original reports never said 'smaller screen' and NYT reporting Apple is not working on a smaller screen iPhone doesn't mean that they aren't working on a thinner model with the same screen size.

"The WSJ article said "The new device would be about half the size of the iPhone 4, which is the current model." To me the phrase 'half the size' implies a dimension other than thickness, but I could be wrong. It could certainly mean that the screen size would remain the same, by removing the home button and shrinking the bezel in order to reduce the height and width, for example.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

6. ???????

7. Profit

I'm pretty sure you have prediction number 7 correct.