Claims of delays for Apple's iPad 2, iPhone 5 labeled false

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Ok so let me get this straight. Banks sell Apple shares. Analysts (who all work for said banks) spread rumours which sends Apple share price down. Banks then buys back Apple shares at lower price, watch as the rumours are proved wrong and the share price goes back up. Banks sell at the higher price making nice profit. Is that how it works?

Not quite.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Is there a chance the "iphone 5" will be called the iphone 4G instead? It sounds more practical.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

No doubt these rumors originates from nokia.com, samsung.com, dell.com etc...

This could be possible if you are thinking that FUD would lead consumers to consider their products over "questionable future" Apple products.

However this makes no sense if you are in with the stock manipulation crowd--these companies don't give a rat's (petootie) about Apple's stock prices and even less about its short term fluctuations...
  • Reply 24 of 32
    I'm also still using my original 1st gen iPhone. It still works just as well as it ever did. The one problem area that it has is still just as broken with the 3.x code base as it was with the 1.x.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crossuab View Post

How in the world has your iPhone 1 lasted this long? I was ready to throw my iPhone 3G against a brick wall while waiting to get my iPhone 4.

• Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:

Short selling: A strategy in which a speculator sells a commodity or security that he or she does not own in order to profit from a falling market. The speculator will borrow the commodity or security from a third party and then immediately sell on to the buyer. At a later date, the speculator must make good on the loan by buying back the commodity or security from the market to close the position. If the value of the commodity or security has fallen during this period the speculator?s profit will be the difference between his original sale price and the buyback price (minus interest charges and fees). However, if the market moves against the speculator there is the potential for limitless losses.

Just to clarify how profit can be made from rumours negatively affecting stock price. FWIW I don't believe this type of rumour had this intention. I think the analysts just got it wrong, something they do quite a lot.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Phew! For a second there, I was beginning to be a bit worried.

Don't relax too much. The response was only that it is not delayed. It could still be released later than people think and still be on Apple's schedule. I don't personally think it will be later than people think, but since it is unannounced, we have no idea when Apple was planning on releasing it. So, it is possible that they could show up in June and September and not have been delayed.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I think this is probably the best reason I've heard yet for apple using their cash to buy back shares.

Yes, that's what we need. Apple becoming a day trader. Brilliant. Wouldn't it be nicer if Apple sent you the money, and then you could use it to buy Apple stock, or a TV, or milk? It's your money, after all.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcskater620 View Post

Is there a chance the "iphone 5" will be called the iphone 4G instead? It sounds more practical.

Zero. It won't have LTE, which isn't even 4G, so no, it won't be called that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ratsg View Post

I'm also still using my original 1st gen iPhone. It still works just as well as it ever did. The one problem area that it has is still just as broken with the 3.x code base as it was with the 1.x.

What's broken about it?

I just installed 4.2 on my Day One iPhone, and it runs just as well as 3.1.3 did. Try it out.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ratsg View Post

I'm still using my first gen iPhone as well. Plan to upgrade this summer.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Dear SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION,

Please investigate Vincent Chen and Alison Chen with Taiwan-based research firm Yuanta Securities Co.

Please investigate analyst Craig Berger with FBR Capital Market.

I suspect both parties to be involved in stock price manipulation.

Regards,

APPL Stockholders
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

You will have to figure out a way to reconcile the enormous cost of your suggestion with the "small government" and anti-regulation sentiment of the government, as currently constituted.

no - the people making the press releases would have to pay the costs associated with data collection.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Ok so let me get this straight. Banks sell Apple shares. Analysts (who all work for said banks) spread rumours which sends Apple share price down. Banks then buys back Apple shares at lower price, watch as the rumours are proved wrong and the share price goes back up. Banks sell at the higher price making nice profit. Is that how it works?

Ever heard of shorting?