Ipad 2

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
i have the first Ipad and what this doesn't have is GPS beside camera..etc but this is the first IPad and always the second generation will be better.I am looking to the IPAD 2 to be in the stores but i am wondering if this one will have GPS chip like the IPhone. Did somebody knows if this will be on the IPAD 2? Many thanks guys.

Adrian,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    GPS is part of the 3G assembly. No GPS without 3G.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I have a Ipad wifi+3G the 64 GB and doesn't have GPS build in,if you have no data plan the maps will not work but if has a GPS chip like the IPhone you do not need data to use GPS.Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sorinel View Post

I have a Ipad wifi+3G the 64 GB and doesn't have GPS build in,if you have no data plan the maps will not work but if has a GPS chip like the IPhone you do not need data to use GPS.Thanks.

All 3G iPads have GPS. No Wi-Fi-only iPad has GPS. You need some sort of data connection to load the map, even while the GPS will find your lat/lon without it. You'll see nothing without data.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

You do understand that as a phone it includes a data plan? You can buy self-contained GPS software that pre-loads maps directly to your iPad if you don't want to pay for a data plan. It will work just like a stand-alone GPS.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Venerable View Post

You do understand that as a phone it includes a data plan? You can buy self-contained GPS software that pre-loads maps directly to your iPad if you don't want to pay for a data plan. It will work just like a stand-alone GPS.

I have also a Iphone 4 and i do not need the data for GPS to work,take your sim card out on the Iphone 4 and open your map and it will work but this is not the case with Ipad believe the Ipad will not work if you take the sim card out.When you have the sim card in and also you have a data plan when you open the maps it will show where you are because of the location of the phone towers they are able to pinpoint your location but the Ipad doesn't have a GPS chip build in.SHow me where it's saying the IPAd has GPS and i will say you are right but it's not the case.This is why i was asking if Ipad 2 will have GPS chip build in.Please let me know and if you have a iphone 4 do the test and you will see it will work without the sim card what it will tell you the Iphone has a GPS chip.Many thanks .

Sorinel,

• Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:

I have also a Iphone 4 and i do not need the data for GPS to work,take your sim card out on the Iphone 4 and open your map and it will work but this is not the case with Ipad believe the Ipad will not work if you take the sim card out.When you have the sim card in and also you have a data plan when you open the maps it will show where you are because of the location of the phone towers they are able to pinpoint your location but the Ipad doesn't have a GPS chip build in.SHow me where it's saying the IPAd has GPS and i will say you are right but it's not the case.This is why i was asking if Ipad 2 will have GPS chip build in.Please let me know and if you have a iphone 4 do the test and you will see it will work without the sim card what it will tell you the Iphone has a GPS chip.Many thanks .

Sorinel,

You are a stubborn one.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

"Location

* Wi-Fi

* Digital compass

* Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

* Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)"
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

You are a stubborn one.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

"Location

* Wi-Fi

* Digital compass

* Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

* Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)"

I am not a stubborn as per your mesage but look like u do not understand what i say,maybe you should read again.I do not care about assisted GPS which it will work just if you have data plan ....try a Iphone 4 or Iphone 3GS which they have a GPS chip build in and you are able to use GPS on the Iphone without data this is what i am saying because with the IPAD u are not be able to open google maps and see where you are if you are not on WIFI or have a data plan.Back to your message take away your wifi and data and tell me what u get ( nothing ) my friend which this translate the IPAD doesn't have a GPS chip build in.Research man before you write....
  • Reply 8 of 22
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    @sorinel

The wifi+3G does have GPS, it work just fine. Nor do you need a data plan for it to work. How do I know? I have one without a data plan and everything works just fine.

Now the Maps App uses Google Maps for its data and you need a connection to Google Maps for it to work. Thus without a 3G data plan you need a wifi connection to Google for Maps to work. You do not need this for a self contained GPS app like Navigon.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

I am not a stubborn as per your mesage but look like u do not understand what i say,maybe you should read again.I do not care about assisted GPS which it will work just if you have data plan ....try a Iphone 4 or Iphone 3GS which they have a GPS chip build in and you are able to use GPS on the Iphone without data this is what i am saying because with the IPAD u are not be able to open google maps and see where you are if you are not on WIFI or have a data plan.Back to your message take away your wifi and data and tell me what u get ( nothing ) my friend which this translate the IPAD doesn't have a GPS chip build in.Research man before you write....

You clearly don't understand the implementation of A-GPS. The iPad has standalone GPS with assistance. This enables it to get a quick location from cell towers while it's locking in GPS satellites. It's actually an improvement over standalone GPS. And stop trying to tell me I don't have GPS onmy iPad, I travelled Europe over the summer with my iPad and it absolutely had GPS.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    In case you're still doubting it read this:

http://orb-of-knowledge.blogspot.com...d-gps-and.html
  • Reply 11 of 22
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    • WiFi only iPad ones do not have GPS.

• IPad ones with 3G do have GPS.

• Nobody knows where the GPS chip will be in iPad two.

Now you seem to have a problem separating GPS functionality from software functionality. Google maps is an app that uses the GPS hardware in conjunction with a data connection. However there are many apps that work fine without a data connection while using the GPS functionality built into the 3G iPads. You make an assumption that all apps work like Google Maps, this is not true at all.

As to the idea if assisted GPS it isn't what has been suggested in this thread already. Assisted GPS uses the networking capacity of a device to load data that allows the GPS chip to quickly resolve a GPS position. Without that data the GPS system needs to derive the data from the GPS signal which takes more time.

Cell tower and WiFi triangulation are compleyely different things from assisted GPS. These sorts of location based systems may or may not help with the GPS location. The obvious problem here is that sometimes the location data is simply wrong or too course.

Now as to the question of iPad 2 I'm actually hoping that they move the GPS functionality to the WiFi only model. For me it would be an optimal configuration. However there is a practicle consideration here, GPS needs a very good antenna which may be the reason GPS comes on the 3G only models. So I'd have to say the chances are slim that the WiFi only model would get a GPS chip.

Quote:

i have the first Ipad and what this doesn't have is GPS beside camera..etc but this is the first IPad and always the second generation will be better.I am looking to the IPAD 2 to be in the stores but i am wondering if this one will have GPS chip like the IPhone. Did somebody knows if this will be on the IPAD 2? Many thanks guys.

Adrian,

• Reply 12 of 22
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Now as to the question of iPad 2 I'm actually hoping that they move the GPS functionality to the WiFi only model. For me it would be an optimal configuration. However there is a practicle consideration here, GPS needs a very good antenna which may be the reason GPS comes on the 3G only models. So I'd have to say the chances are slim that the WiFi only model would get a GPS chip.

I've been making the assumption that GPS is a part of the GMS and CDMS radios in order for the mobile companies to meet the governments requirements of identifying the callers location during emergency 911 calls. If so, GPS came free with mobile network capabilities and probably will not be added to WiFi only models.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

GPS came free with mobile network capabilities and probably will not be added to WiFi only models.

Yep, it isn't.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    • WiFi only iPad ones do not have GPS.

• IPad ones with 3G do have GPS.

• Nobody knows where the GPS chip will be in iPad two.

Now you seem to have a problem separating GPS functionality from software functionality. Google maps is an app that uses the GPS hardware in conjunction with a data connection. However there are many apps that work fine without a data connection while using the GPS functionality built into the 3G iPads. You make an assumption that all apps work like Google Maps, this is not true at all.

As to the idea if assisted GPS it isn't what has been suggested in this thread already. Assisted GPS uses the networking capacity of a device to load data that allows the GPS chip to quickly resolve a GPS position. Without that data the GPS system needs to derive the data from the GPS signal which takes more time.

Cell tower and WiFi triangulation are compleyely different things from assisted GPS. These sorts of location based systems may or may not help with the GPS location. The obvious problem here is that sometimes the location data is simply wrong or too course.

Yes i understand now...you guys are right ...my apologies.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All 3G iPads have GPS. No Wi-Fi-only iPad has GPS. You need some sort of data connection to load the map, even while the GPS will find your lat/lon without it. You'll see nothing without data.

Quote:

You need some sort of data connection to actually load the map images.

As far as the wifi only version, why the hell wouldn't it be able to have maps? It should be able to use skyhook to aquire the location.

The ipad 2 is just as worthless as the first.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

I said that. Be it Wi-Fi or cellular data, you load the maps via that data but GPS works (read: will find your location on the empty map) without.

Quote:

As far as the wifi only version, why the hell wouldn't it be able to have maps? It should be able to use skyhook to aquire the location.

Don't recall saying that.

Quote:

Any explanation therefor?
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

I said that. Be it Wi-Fi or cellular data, you load the maps via that data but GPS works (read: will find your location on the empty map) without.

Don't recall saying that.

Any explanation therefor?

I'm saying that the ipad SHOULD be able to use skyhook, but from what I know, it's not implemented.

As far is it being the same as ipad1? The only significant difference would be the camera / video related software. Other than that, ipad apps are still developed for both ipads. Meaning that the app won't be produced to take advantage of only the ipad2 hardware. That's why there are no significant changes even though there was a hardware refresh.

1024x768? I'll pass. If I wanted an e-reader, i'd buy a nook or kindle, if I wanted something to watch movies on, browse the web, email, and actually DO things, I'd get a 10" netbook or MBA that has a complete OS that I can work with.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Maps can be preloaded and saved. I do this all the time to use GPS in areas with zero network connectivity. Works great while mountain biking in the middle of nowhere.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

1024x768? I'll pass. If I wanted an e-reader, i'd buy a nook or kindle, if I wanted something to watch movies on, browse the web, email, and actually DO things, I'd get a 10" netbook or MBA that has a complete OS that I can work with.

Ah, so you've never even used one. I see.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

Ah, so you've never even used one. I see.

I have. Tested out every possible feature I could. It's still on ipod jumbo.

As for reading books, once you read a book on a screen that's actually meant for reading on (ex. nook), there's no comparison.