Ipad connectivity help please

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I know it's a bit premature, but I am looking for some advice, pros and cons. I waited for the ipad 2 and am curious as to how I will connect to the internet. I plan on buying an iphone 5 so again I know the equation could change. I guess I am wondering if I really need 2 devices with data plans. What would I lose performance-wise if I tethered my ipad to my phone. Does anyone have any experience using both methods and what I may lose by tethering?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlindc View Post


    I waited for the ipad 2 and am curious as to how I will connect to the internet.



    Via Wi-Fi or cellular telephony, depending on the model you purchase.



    Quote:

    What would I lose performance-wise if I tethered my ipad to my phone.



    Can't be done unless you jailbreak. The iPad 2 won't be jailbroken for a good long while.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post




    Can't be done unless you jailbreak. The iPad 2 won't be jailbroken for a good long while.



    Why do you say this?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post


    Why do you say this?



    New hardware. The iPhone 3G (or was it 3GS?) took nearly six months to jailbreak, I think. You'd be going for a while without tethering.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mlindcmlindc Posts: 3member
    OK maybe I was thinking of hotspot instead of tethering. If I have a hotspot capability on my phone, how much would i lose in performance on my ipad connectivity vs. a data plan on the ipad?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlindc View Post


    OK maybe I was thinking of hotspot instead of tethering. If I have a hotspot capability on my phone, how much would i lose in performance on my ipad connectivity vs. a data plan on the ipad?



    None. Maybe a few milliseconds of transfer time. 802.11n is near-as-to-infinitely faster than any data connection you'll be getting with cellular telephony, so you should get the full speed thereof.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mlindcmlindc Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    None. Maybe a few milliseconds of transfer time. 802.11n is near-as-to-infinitely faster than any data connection you'll be getting with cellular telephony, so you should get the full speed thereof.



    So Tallest, if you see this, what are your impressions of Ipad2? Also, it seems wiser to get the wi-fi 64 version and connect through a 4g hotspot iphone4 or 5. Or am I missing something? I was going to buy the wireless carrier connectivity if it supported both Verizon and ATT but it looks like these will be separate products.



    THANKS FOR THE INPUT
  • Reply 7 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlindc View Post


    So Tallest, if you see this, what are your impressions of Ipad2? Also, it seems wiser to get the wi-fi 64 version and connect through a 4g hotspot iphone4 or 5.



    If you don't want to pay two data plans, that sounds like your best option.
Sign In or Register to comment.