The Bourne Identity

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Fantastic film! Brilliant.

What a breath of fresh air.

No BMWs or Aston Martins here. No fancy flying contraptions, well cut suits and stunning eye candy women. James Bond has become to glitzy. He's lost the "dirty fighting/improvisation" edge which Sean Connery had. I hope the next actor that plays James Bond can bring back that edge - biting, poking & kicking.

Great hand to hand fighting scenes. The film could have done without that stupid staircase scene though?

Oh, and can anybody explain to me what the story was with the headaches? I'm afraid that went right over my head?

[ 09-21-2002: Message edited by: Roonster ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I've heard good things about this one, so I'll be taking it in.

I'm hearing astounding things from my source in Elstree about Die Another Day, and I do think it's going to be a fitting finale to the Brosnan era.

I've always thought he was a lot closer to Fleming's Bond than any since Connery, and he's a markedly crueller character than any of the others have played him: Lazenby was.. just crap, really, Moore was too smug, Dalton too grumpy, but Brosnan brought the suave, sophisticated, capable quality that oozes out of the novels (/me looks lovingly at pile of 60's paperbacks on the bookshelf).

I like my Bond.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    It's a pretty good. Kind of a release from all the "movies with messages" we've had over the summer.

I find it hard to see Matt Damon, even a beefed-up Matt Damon, as a secret agent though. He's the Doogie Howser of the spy world.

As for the headaches thing - the idea is that they were in some way modified by the government agency to make them the ultimate agents, and it wasn't without side effects.

I've got a copy of the book somewhere, which I really should read.

As far as the genre goes, The Sum Of All Fears isn't too bad, either.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I;ve yet to see the Bourne Identity so I can;t compare the two. But I can say that the Sum of All Fears is not the best Jack Ryan film...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce:

<strong>I;ve yet to see the Bourne Identity so I can;t compare the two. But I can say that the Sum of All Fears is not the best Jack Ryan film...</strong><hr></blockquote>

The only thing I liked in The Sum of All Fears was Bridget Moynahan...and the continued badassedness of the John Clark character (Liev Schreiber in this flick, Willem Dafoe in Clear and Present Danger.)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    I also think it distinguished itself a little because the hero isn't deciding between the red and blue wires as the countdown nears zero.

Though Tom Clancy is an ass. Which reminds me of something I need to add to the bitching thread...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Wow Bridget is hot. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: