Lions operating system

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am confused on whether my current Mac Pro 2006 Desktop will work with the new operating system Lions. I know nothing official has been made about requirements but can someone tell me whether my current system is faster than the new macbook laptops that are out now?

Here are the specs on my system:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro1,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08

SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    As a 2006 Mac Pro, your system is slower than the current MacBook Pro family, I believe.

Lion works with all Core 2 Intel machines. Yours is a Xeon based on the Core 2 family. You're fine.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Whats the model of the Xeon? Its an extensive family just like the Core series. Lion's requirements are a Core 2 Duo, so Core Duo's and presumably related Xeon families will be dropped.

I guess a quick way to know is finding out if its a 64 bit capable processor, I think thats why the Core Duo's are being dropped.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Whats the model of the Xeon? Its an extensive family just like the Core series. Lion's requirements are a Core 2 Duo, so Core Duo's and presumably related Xeon families will be dropped.

I guess a quick way to know is finding out if its a 64 bit capable processor, I think thats why the Core Duo's are being dropped.

All Mac Pros are Core 2 and above. What was the 2006... something -field... Anyway, it will work.