iPad 2 GPU

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Is it the dual GPU SGX543MP2, do you think? If they say 9x the performance of the first iPad, and the 543 single chip is 4.5 times as powerful according to Imagination, the MP2 seems to fit the bill. Thats a fair lead over the best of the competition, I think.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Is it the dual GPU SGX543MP2, do you think? If they say 9x the performance of the first iPad, and the 543 single chip is 4.5 times as powerful according to Imagination, the MP2 seems to fit the bill. Thats a fair lead over the best of the competition, I think.

If it is, it's the same GPU Sony are to use in their NGP:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03/i...-is-faster-be/

It makes sense as the NGP was recently reported to be somewhere in between a PSP and a PS3. The original iPhone was around half a PSP and has likely exceeded it since then. The NGP has quad-core graphics though.

The latest SGX should put iOS devices beyond midway between a PSP and PS3 and that's a lot of power for game devs to tap into. Hopefully they get this chip into the iPhone too, even if it's single core and I hope that devs actually do something with the power instead of watered-down games designed for mobile devices.

It would be cool if Apple announced the same Sony development platform that's coming to Android at WWDC. Sony has to realise by now, that's their only way of rivalling Microsoft and Nintendo.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    The NGP uses a MP4, not an MP2. Thats the four core version, it doesn't scale perfectly but should be close to twice as fast as the iPad 2.

So can anyone confirm or give speculation that its indeed the MP2 in the iPad 2? The math seems to fit.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

So can anyone confirm or give speculation that its indeed the MP2 in the iPad 2? The math seems to fit.

They keep these things locked down tight so nobody will likely find out until Friday. I don't think they've even confirmed the amount of RAM it has either, though it's likely 512MB. An analyst here speculates the same:

http://www.itproportal.com/2011/02/0...y-ngp-console/

Though when an analyst speculates, that means they visit forums like these, read what is said here and then write an article, then this site writes an article about the analyst's predictions, we read it and comment on what the analyst has said. It's all pretty much cyclical guesswork.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Haha yeah, where exactly do I apply for the jobs of these "analysts"? Its guesswork, as good as you or I. Like when they were saying the iPad 2 would be dual core, well DUH, every early 2011 tablet was going dual core.