Big Mess with IPAD 2 and best buy

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
bought an ipad 2 32GB from Best Buy store's Customer Service Desk today (11th march, 2011). I was told that a customer just returned an ipad 2 32GB so it was made available to us at 19:23 hrs on the day of its release (awesome? Nope, AWEFUL). I went home, removed the wrapper and opened the box that had ipad older version in it and NOT ipad 2.

I rushed to the Best Buy store from which I bought it at around 20:00 hrs,

They said the guy who returned it had given it with seal which the lady at the service desk testifies it to be "Apple Seal" from her experience. They said we switched it with ipad older version in 30 mins not considering the fact that it has been returned by their previous customer and he could have switched it.

As a result we are losing money and product, which I do not need

Questions we asked,

1. How could we ever trust you? Do you want us to open the pack right at the store when we buy stuff?

Answered by Sales Manager: 'Yes! you probably should open it right here'

2. Do we pay for YOUR fraud customer?

Answered by Sales Manager: 'Yes! because you opened the box and we don't know who switched it'

Answered by another lady (I suppose a rep): 'our previous customer is not a fraud because he had returned with good seal and I could totally say it was genuine. I don't know if could say this, but he returned it because he bought it for his friend who couldn't pay'

3. Are we stuck with this then? Do I have a solution?

Answered by Sales Manager: 'you can talk to Apple. they are reputed and will consider your complaint because this is not the previous customer's fraud return - If you believe you have not switched it'

4. I just bought it from best buy and i'm back here in 30 mins. Are you saying I switched it?

All of them: 'we can't do anything about it. Talk to the manufacturer'.

Experience: The lady Service Rep was rude and was arguing that the customer who returned was genuine only because of the transparent wrap. When I came home and checked out the wrap - it was one of the cheapest plastic material that Mr. Jobs would laugh at. And of course my husband didn't realize it while opening it and I did not bother to touch it and feel it when I was expecting a brand new ipad 2 in a neat white box.

I am sure the lady who argued about it wouldn't have agreed with us about the wrap because we could have switched that too. This makes me feel that she definitely has her HAND in it or she doesn't like brown skinned like me. May be she doesn't want to accept her fault for not having checked it properly when

SHE received the return and believed the story of her fraud customer.

i need help What can i do

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vinnan View Post

bought an ipad 2 32GB from Best Buy store's Customer Service Desk today (11th march, 2011). I was told that a customer just returned an ipad 2 32GB so it was made available to us at 19:23 hrs on the day of its release (awesome? Nope, AWEFUL). I went home, removed the wrapper and opened the box that had ipad older version in it and NOT ipad 2.

I rushed to the Best Buy store from which I bought it at around 20:00 hrs,

They said the guy who returned it had given it with seal which the lady at the service desk testifies it to be "Apple Seal" from her experience. They said we switched it with ipad older version in 30 mins not considering the fact that it has been returned by their previous customer and he could have switched it.

As a result we are losing money and product, which I do not need

Questions we asked,

1. How could we ever trust you? Do you want us to open the pack right at the store when we buy stuff?

Answered by Sales Manager: 'Yes! you probably should open it right here'

2. Do we pay for YOUR fraud customer?

Answered by Sales Manager: 'Yes! because you opened the box and we don't know who switched it'

Answered by another lady (I suppose a rep): 'our previous customer is not a fraud because he had returned with good seal and I could totally say it was genuine. I don't know if could say this, but he returned it because he bought it for his friend who couldn't pay'

3. Are we stuck with this then? Do I have a solution?

Answered by Sales Manager: 'you can talk to Apple. they are reputed and will consider your complaint because this is not the previous customer's fraud return - If you believe you have not switched it'

4. I just bought it from best buy and i'm back here in 30 mins. Are you saying I switched it?

All of them: 'we can't do anything about it. Talk to the manufacturer'.

Experience: The lady Service Rep was rude and was arguing that the customer who returned was genuine only because of the transparent wrap. When I came home and checked out the wrap - it was one of the cheapest plastic material that Mr. Jobs would laugh at. And of course my husband didn't realize it while opening it and I did not bother to touch it and feel it when I was expecting a brand new ipad 2 in a neat white box.

I am sure the lady who argued about it wouldn't have agreed with us about the wrap because we could have switched that too. This makes me feel that she definitely has her HAND in it or she doesn't like brown skinned like me. May be she doesn't want to accept her fault for not having checked it properly when

SHE received the return and believed the story of her fraud customer.

Call Apple immediately in Cupertino there phone is 408-996-1010 this is the main head quarters.Explain your situation to the supervisor there and you tell them you want immediate action and a replacement.Ask for Sal there he is the head technician and has power to boot.I am sure you will get a replacement.Good Luck MF
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

You might have to contact Apple to see if they can check if the serial number of the iPad on the box is in use and have them contact Best Buy to prove it's not you.

Although, they might say it's just been sold on or something. What you should probably do is call the local police station and get them to force Best Buy to give over the details of the person who last returned the device (if they didn't pay in cash of course) and they can possibly get a warrant to search their property for the iPad and check the serial number. Given that you have the original box and they'd have the iPad with the serial number they supposedly returned, they can be charged with fraud.

There was a story a while back about someone buying a Playstation or XBox from a store like Best Buy and just getting a box of bricks. Stores should really have a stricter check for returns.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    vinnanvinnan Posts: 2member
    Hi all

Thanks a lot for the comments again

Just came back from best buy and met the manager...

initially when i started explaining the story to the manager she stopped me and said "Wait i heard this happened yesterday and we cannot do anything"

i was like wtf and started raising my voice in the middle of the floor..then a guy came in apparently "Customer Relations guy" and i explained him about the story in detailed and told him if this cannot be resolved in a civil way..i will have to call the cops and even go on to an extreme of doing a finger print analysis in the "fake wrapper" to see if the best buy sales reps finger print is on it....

The guy took my receipt inside and asked me to hold on to the product and the "Wrapper" and came back after 30 mins and said "i took a copy of your receipt and will have to investigate with all the employees involved and will call me back by tonight"

and he called me back said he was really sorry and he checked a lot of things and then finally gave an exchange with in next 1 hr

you guys are awesome.....all your help is really appreciated in getting this matter solved.... i am really really really happy now and gonna go grab a drink...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    vb23vb23 Posts: 5member
    This isn't the first time Best Buy has had this problem. I suspect their employee did it. In my experience the most trustful BB employees are always the cell phone workers. I don't think they 100% work for BB, and they were extremely professional when I got my iPhone 4 from them.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Glad to see it resolved.

Quote:

Hi all

Thanks a lot for the comments again

Just came back from best buy and met the manager...

initially when i started explaining the story to the manager she stopped me and said "Wait i heard this happened yesterday and we cannot do anything"

i was like wtf and started raising my voice in the middle of the floor..then a guy came in apparently "Customer Relations guy" and i explained him about the story in detailed and told him if this cannot be resolved in a civil way..i will have to call the cops and even go on to an extreme of doing a finger print analysis in the "fake wrapper" to see if the best buy sales reps finger print is on it....

The guy took my receipt inside and asked me to hold on to the product and the "Wrapper" and came back after 30 mins and said "i took a copy of your receipt and will have to investigate with all the employees involved and will call me back by tonight"

and he called me back said he was really sorry and he checked a lot of things and then finally gave an exchange with in next 1 hr

you guys are awesome.....all your help is really appreciated in getting this matter solved.... i am really really really happy now and gonna go grab a drink...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vb23 View Post

This isn't the first time Best Buy has had this problem. I suspect their employee did it. In my experience the most trustful BB employees are always the cell phone workers. I don't think they 100% work for BB, and they were extremely professional when I got my iPhone 4 from them.