iPad 3G compass problem?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I've searched this issue before on other forums and it's only come up a couple of times, and certainly with no solid answers.

In maps view, with the compass mode activated, it very very very rarely ever shows even close to the correct direction, not even within 90 degrees. More often than not, it either shows exactly 90 or even 180 degrees off, or anywhere in between.

I've tried the rotating the iPad in the figure-8 motion to calibrate, I've tried just walking around to see if it would correct itself... But no... It just does not want to point in the correct direction?

Should I return it??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NickyFox View Post

I've searched this issue before on other forums and it's only come up a couple of times, and certainly with no solid answers.

In maps view, with the compass mode activated, it very very very rarely ever shows even close to the correct direction, not even within 90 degrees. More often than not, it either shows exactly 90 or even 180 degrees off, or anywhere in between.

I've tried the rotating the iPad in the figure-8 motion to calibrate, I've tried just walking around to see if it would correct itself... But no... It just does not want to point in the correct direction?

Should I return it??

You may have some strong electromagnetic interference where you are. Take it somewhere else to test. Why not take it to an Apple Store and test one of the demo models next to yours? That should clear up whether it's your unit, or location.

Any motors near you will generate magnetic fields that may affect your iPad. Large metal objects near you may also affect the ability of the compass to detect the Earth's magnetic field, or distort its directionality.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Where are you observing this problem? I've ridden in some vehicles in which no consumer grade compass will work. There's just too much electromagnetic interference.