Office for Ipad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Hello

I have a MBP and Iphone4 but yet to get an Ipad. My questions are as follows:

1) Has anyone heard if they are planning on releasing a version of Office for Ipad? I use it constantly and without office, the Ipad would be a lot more of a toy than anything else.

2) Even absent office, does the ipad have the ability to read office docs such as word and excel?

Thanks

abirozy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    1. Get iWork or a Windows tablet. It's not a "toy".

2. Yes. And edit/export them with iWork.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I would assume eventually microsoft will come out with it, im actually surprised they havent alreadys, they have a few other apps (including Office's "OneNote"). I think they are missing a huge opportunity. Tons of people, including myself, would pay at least $50 for a nice iOS version of Office. I naturally defer to Microsoft for anything work related just becuase its so highly used and I have used Office my whole life so that would have been my choice if it was available.

You can view pretty much anything on iOS as is. No need for any app.

But like Skil said, you need "iWork" to edit/ export/ save them. I bought Pages and it works great for a basic word processor. I didnt opt for the spreadsheet app so I cant comment on that but Pages is a great app. I wouldnt do any heavy editing on it but its great for writing in general (assuming you have a bluetooth keyboard).
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Currently, Mac Office is still written in Carbon (except Outlook 2011). iOS exclusively uses Cocoa APIs and frameworks and Microsoft therefore wouldn't be able to re-use much (if any) code from the Mac version to write an iOS version.

I expect the next version of Office for Mac to be written in Cocoa, and an iOS version will probably follow. Alternative, they may come out with very limited capability versions for iOS and use the code as the basis for the Mac version.