Help buy a wide format printer for my imac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am looking for a wide format printer that prints both sides or duplexing and that has the best quality printing and least expensive cartridges that is wireless and will work with my imac 27 inch computer and running os 10.6.6 and work with a e feature making it usable with iPad,iPhone and iPod touch. I want to be able to print small book projects of 40 to 60 pages using paper up to 13 x 19. Can anyone make a recommendation for my needs. I also need a OCR to be included to scan pre computer projects with it as well. It would be nice if it could print cd/dvds. I want my projects to look like a pro printing project.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmfett View Post

I am looking for a wide format printer that prints both sides or duplexing and that has the best quality printing and least expensive cartridges that is wireless and will work with my imac 27 inch computer and running os 10.6.6 and work with a e feature making it usable with iPad,iPhone and iPod touch. I want to be able to print small book projects of 40 to 60 pages using paper up to 13 x 19. Can anyone make a recommendation for my needs. I also need a OCR to be included to scan pre computer projects with it as well. It would be nice if it could print cd/dvds. I want my projects to look like a pro printing project.

I think you need more than one printer to be able to fit your requirements.

For AirPrint compatible printers, you need to look here, updated a couple weeks ago:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356 So far, it looks like only HP offers compatible printing.

I haven't heard of an automatically duplexing wide format printer, if you find one, it's probably a pro unit. A manual duplexing printer is just an ordinary single side printer where the user flips the page themselves, and hopefully keeps the orientation correct.

I haven't seen a wide format printer that has a built-in scanner either.

You didn't say where you were. Because of a patent, in the US, CD printing is almost exclusive to Epson printers and specialty CD printers. I've hacked a Canon because its European version could print CDs, you just need the tray, a pair of pliers, a driver download and the instructions to tell the printer is a European version.

HP isn't known for cheap ink either.

It's a good idea to check the cost of farming out the big print jobs, particularly printing a book. Be sure to factor in the cost of a few mistakes if you're prone to making any.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    HP 7500A is a wide format AIO printer that now supports Apple's AirPrint.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...t_oj-7500a-aio

No CD printing and no duplexing. I'm sure duplexing can be done manually after you have let the ink dry sufficiently.

For CD printing, you'll still need an Epson or a dedicated CD printer. Epson does not appear to support AirPrint yet.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I suggest you to try for Epson. Epson provides imaging quality at its best with ultra-fine precision process engineering. For personal creative projects, the Epson Artisan line of Inkjet All-in-One printers offers wi-fi capabilities coupled with user-friendly ultra high definition photo processing, plus fax, scan and print features one comes to expect from an Epson all-in-one.