what is with apple stock?

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Is apple really in a bad way with the making the computer parts in Japan?

I that why it lost $15.42 today?

No news on it...

As smart as apple is I am sure they have a back up plan if there is a problem...

What is really going on as there is no news on this out there!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It goes down. It goes up. That's what stocks do. It has nothing to do with Apple. Google went down the same amount.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    There is no problem. AAPL is a well known stock that has attracted a lot of amateur traders based on the new customers' familiarity with the brand and its rise in price. While established investors trade the stock, they have learned to time their buying and selling with global fears and speculations that cause the smaller investors to act. For example, the Japan crisis tells an amateur investor to sell as "Those things are typically bad." so people start to sell off, big traders sell off, and everyone sells off... and then people start to buy, people rebuy... everyone starts to buy on the lower price.

Essentially, less-educated investors are more easily influenced by market changes that would not rattle experienced investors, but those experienced investors know how to take advantage of the price trends they cause... so the increases and decreases are more pronounced.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmfett View Post

Is apple really in a bad way with the making the computer parts in Japan?

I that why it lost $15.42 today?

No news on it...

As smart as apple is I am sure they have a back up plan if there is a problem...

What is really going on as there is no news on this out there!!!!

You have to under stand that just like iansilv, the market price isn't based so much on what Apple is doing/has done/will do as it is on people perceptions of the world in which Apple exists. forgive me for saying but world events like Japan make a lot of people a lot of money.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RepairZoom View Post

forgive me for saying but world events like Japan make a lot of people a lot of money.

Yes- absolutely true. Unfortunate, but absolutely true.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

There is no problem. AAPL is a well known stock that has attracted a lot of amateur traders based on the new customers' familiarity with the brand and its rise in price. While established investors trade the stock, they have learned to time their buying and selling with global fears and speculations that cause the smaller investors to act. For example, the Japan crisis tells an amateur investor to sell as "Those things are typically bad." so people start to sell off, big traders sell off, and everyone sells off... and then people start to buy, people rebuy... everyone starts to buy on the lower price.

Essentially, less-educated investors are more easily influenced by market changes that would not rattle experienced investors, but those experienced investors know how to take advantage of the price trends they cause... so the increases and decreases are more pronounced.

Sorry, but quite the opposite is the case. The markets are not moved by amateur investors, they are moved by institutional traders. Many of them are trading on programs, meaning that a lot of the action is automatic, decided by computers not people. A wise individual investor knows that they are along for the ride and doesn't obsess over daily, weekly or even monthly gyrations. Individual investors have to keep to their own internal, longterm goals. Do that, or risk being trampled by the big guys.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    asmodaiasmodai Posts: 21member
    C.mon April 20th, this is hurting.

AAPL is the most contrarian stock in the tech sector. I work at a Wall St. Major, so I am somewhat restricted from day trading. Bought at 188 last feb 2010, sold at 270, bought at 235, sold at 265, bought at 240 and held.

I need to buy an engagement ring, this isn't helping
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

There are a lot amateur AAPL traders but they pale compared to the Institutional traders, amatuers make up less then 1% of AAPL stock so we hardly influence AAPL price. We have to go along with the fund managers for better or worse-- also remember AAPL stock has to be sold by those funds to track the NASDAQ 100 to bring AAPL percentage from 20% to 12%, many managers who don't track the NASDAQ 100 are still wary of the effect on AAPL price on MAY 1. Otherwise AAPL is doing fantastic, the strongest company in the NASDAQ 100 and with supurb management is quickly getting their supply problems such as they are under control. We all cringe to see AAPL price fall, just got to keep the faith, true value will prevail in the long run.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    To add to what Tallest Skil mentioned, keep in mind the fluctuations of the stock market as a whole. Focusing on Apple's fluctuations without noting overall market temperament isn't looking at a broad enough picture.

I'd also watch the percentage of value change rather than the dollar difference in share price cost. A stock going up 2% tends to tell you more than saying there was a $10 increase, it is a better way to compare the performance of different companies.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

You pretty much nailed it, its market manipulation just like what happened in the movie Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post

C.mon April 20th, this is hurting.

AAPL is the most contrarian stock in the tech sector. I work at a Wall St. Major, so I am somewhat restricted from day trading. Bought at 188 last feb 2010, sold at 270, bought at 235, sold at 265, bought at 240 and held.

I need to buy an engagement ring, this isn't helping

This is the time to make a fast buck for wall street (day-traders), you should Hold big time!