Aperture 3 removed from Mac App Store, suggesting new update

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple's Aperture app has suddenly disappeared from the Mac App Store after weeks of sitting among the top grossing apps, suggesting a new version may be around the corner [update: now available again].

When the Mac App Store debuted in early January, Apple's own Aperture 3 was one of its biggest hits, thanks in part to a steeply discounted $79 price. The professional photography title remained in the store's top grossing titles.

However, the title has now disappeared from the Mac App Store with no mention of an update, although Apple's Aperture 3 page is still in place and offering a free 30 day trial.

Update: Aperture is once again available for sale in the Mac App Store at its $79.99 discounted price, and is again listed as the top grossing app in the US Mac App Store. Users in other regions have reported that the app was never removed from their local version of the Mac App Store, including Canada and Australia.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Yes I'm a bit slow! I like Aperture too, it is just that I haven't focused on photography much lately.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Yes I'm a bit slow! I like Aperture too, it is just that I haven't focused on photography much lately.

I bought it through the App store so I hope they make 4 a free update to those early App store purchasers. Would be nice anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    It could be fun if it gained a user-interface redesign similar to what Final Cut is supposed to be getting. To have this and Final Cut shown at a keynote along with the announcement that iWork11 is finally being released, and an updated preview of Lion with a more solid release date... that would be entertaining.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    It's still up for the Australian region.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    Aperture 3 only came out 13 months ago, it's on a 2-year cycle. Aperture 4 won't come out until Q1 2012
  • Reply 6 of 29
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    Someone in the accounting dept. finally noticed it was selling for $79?
  • Reply 7 of 29
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    While I wouldn't mind 4.0, particularly if that means feature parity against Lightroom and faster performance, I rather see Aperture for iPad.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    gobesgobes Posts: 1member
    Still on the App Store here in the UK.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    ipedroipedro Posts: 63member
    I find it hard to believe that Aperture 4 would be coming out so soon after 3. A point update wouldn't require pulling the app out of the store though. However, given that the only suggestive "evidence" you have of an update is the app being gone from the store, I'm not convinced Aperture 4 is imminent. You're really just guessing.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I bought it through the App store so I hope they make 4 a free update to those early App store purchasers. Would be nice anyway.

What about those of us that bought it at its original box price last January!?

I'd love to think there's an update coming, but it'd be a surprise. In the meantime, we're all left guessing and for some of us it's a real pain in the rear.

My girlfriend was about to purchase Aperture 3 and now she won't know whether to go ahead on the UK store or wait and see, not knowing how long the wait till be. It's not good if you're a professional photographer like she and I are and need to make these decisions. Let's hope there's some explanation soon.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Aperture 3 is a major resource hog so I hope whatever update comes (point update even), this gets fixed. I just upgraded my MBP to 8GB and while that improved performance, I often get a spinning beachball and that's not something I can deal with as my main professional application.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Still there in US app store for $79, it's just not in the Top Paid...
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Aperture 3 is a major resource hog so I hope whatever update comes (point update even), this gets fixed. I just upgraded my MBP to 8GB and while that improved performance, I often get a spinning beachball and that's not something I can deal with as my main professional application.

I bought the fasted 15" MacBook Pro last April JUST to get improved Aperture 3 performance and was totally disappointed that even spending $2,200 could not get A3 to run at an acceptable level. I only have 4GB of RAM, but when using A3 for multiple edits close everything else and still the beachball comes. For me, using the dodge brush often crashes A3.

For the person above wanting an improved UI, I think the UI is great as is. I really enjoy working within A3, just wish it was not dog slow or so crash prone.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    I see it fine in the US App Store (still listed at $79.99). It does seem a bit quick for version 4, but if there was a near-term update, I could see a 3.5 adding some new features (better NR and gradients, please) while keeping the UI and core functionality the same. They did something along this line with the 1.5 update that came out about a year after 1.0. 2.0 followed about 18 months later.

Aperture has been trouble-free and very quick after 3.1 on my mid-2010 i7 MBP.

I'd be all over an iPad companion app that would allow initial RAW processing, organizing, and some editing in the field (syncing to the desktop for full editing).
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Pardon my straightforwardness, but AppleInsider, this has got to be one of the dumbest rumours you've posted in a long time.

Aperture is gone from the app store for a little while and you jump to the conclusion that an update is coming disregarding the fact that Aperture 3 is only half way through its life cycle and without any supporting evidence that an update is coming.

Less than an hour after you post this baseless speculation, Aperture is back on the app store. D'oh!
  • Reply 16 of 29
    epanepan Posts: 5member
    It's just missing from top 10 Apps--apparently it slipped to #12. It's still there in the US, and the Apple page has a Buy button that takes you straight to the App store to purchase for $79.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcollin3k View Post

I bought the fasted 15" MacBook Pro last April JUST to get improved Aperture 3 performance and was totally disappointed that even spending $2,200 could not get A3 to run at an acceptable level. I only have 4GB of RAM, but when using A3 for multiple edits close everything else and still the beachball comes. For me, using the dodge brush often crashes A3.

For the person above wanting an improved UI, I think the UI is great as is. I really enjoy working within A3, just wish it was not dog slow or so crash prone.

You shouldn't have cheaped out on RAM. A3 requires at least 6GB to run well. Better with 8GB. I have a bottom of the line Early 2009 mini and A3 runs great with 8GB.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    We can still buy it at the App Store in Canada
  • Reply 19 of 29
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcollin3k View Post

Damn, really? I have a 2006 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D with 3GB ram, and I get fairly slow performance. It's the first program that's really seemed to be very slow with my computer. I was thinking of upgrading to get a performance boost, though it seems like that doesn't help as much as you'd think. Did you get the spec'd out 15"? I was thinking of getting 2 computers in my update though, an iMac (once they finally update them), and a MBA (though prob in the next update, or the one after, whenever they get non C2D's with half-decent integrated GPU's, since they'd have to be Intel's).
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's Aperture app has suddenly disappeared from the Mac App Store after weeks of sitting among the top grossing apps, suggesting a new version may be around the corner.

When the Mac App Store debuted in early January, Apple's own Aperture 3 was one of its biggest hits, thanks in part to a steeply discounted $79 price. The professional photography title remained in the store's top grossing titles.

However, the title has now disappeared from the Mac App Store with no mention of an update, although Apple's Aperture 3 page is still in place and offering a free 30 day trial.

Uhm, total BS it's still in the APP store and Apple has NOT in the past REMOVED an app due to an update!!!

just because you don't see it on the homepage ever tried the SEARCH feature before pulling a CNN and making premature announcements?