iPad 2 battery replacement- can Apple do it? Can anyone do it well?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
I love the thing- holy cow it is beautiful. but I was looking at it, and it looks impossible for anyone to replace the battery- I had read something about a heat gun. How do you open it without destroying the integrity of the enclosure when you close it up again?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

I love the thing- holy cow it is beautiful. but I was looking at it, and it looks impossible for anyone to replace the battery- I had read something about a heat gun. How do you open it without destroying the integrity of the enclosure when you close it up again?

I'm not sure what is glued together on iPad 2 but realize that it will only get worst in the future. As devices get thinner they will need alternative assembly methods to keep the structures stiff and reliable. At some point repair won't be possible though I think that is years away. I can see future assembly methods where the manufactures start out with a piece of glass and just laminate functionality on top of it. Sort of like layers of plywood glued together.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    venerablevenerable Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Apple will swap out your iPad for $99 for depleted battery issues once your warranty expires. The battery is rated for 1,000 charge cycles before you should experience any serious battery life issues - that's at least 3 years of heavy use. There will undoubtedly be 3rd party solutions given that there are probably close to 20 million of these out there - don't know how much cheaper they'll be.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Its not to bad replacing the battery, more a pain in the ares than anything else. The screen comes off pretty easily and if you're careful the adhesive is fine and you can re-laminate the screen back on when you're done. Just have to know what you're doing

But agreed there will be a day when it's just a sheet of flexible glass, and I cant wait!! I mean come on if you could roll up your iPad 5 and put it in your pocket!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Honestly though I don't see the attraction in a flexible iPad but that would be an option if you can't make a thinner iPad stiff and strong enough to resist bending or breakage. I prefer the tablets in Avatar myself, that is a glass/ceramic sheet that you can see right through. The day is coming I just don't know if I will be around that long.

I'm not sure why this upsets some. There was a time when one could fix a computer by replacing TTL chips and bit slice modules. Now the entire system is on a chip, technology will progress to the point where the entire system is built on the panel.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RepairZoom View Post

Its not to bad replacing the battery, more a pain in the ares than anything else. The screen comes off pretty easily and if you're careful the adhesive is fine and you can re-laminate the screen back on when you're done. Just have to know what you're doing

But agreed there will be a day when it's just a sheet of flexible glass, and I cant wait!! I mean come on if you could roll up your iPad 5 and put it in your pocket!

Possible but anything you roll up will be floppy unrolled. Just saying.