Brag about great bargains!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
When not hanging around the AI boards, I like using my Mac to read financial boards.

Anyway I love finding great bargins and recently stumbled across two of them.

My 1990 Jeep Cherokee is finally on it's last legs (220,000+ miles) and so I decided to get sell it and get another car.

I picked up a used 1993 with 109k miles for only $3300. I consider this a great deal considering a new Liberty is like 23-25k and the Kelly Blue Book is about $5200 for it this Cherokee too. I also sold my old Cherokee for $1500 so in reality I get to drive about 100k for only $1800.

New (for me) Jeep needed a cd player so I went to Circuit City and picked up a new cd/stereo. Jensen has a decent little unit that was only $129 that did it all including...playing MP3's.

So all in all I spent not even $2000 and I get to enjoy then next 5-7 years (depending upon how fast I pile on those miles) in a nice Cherokee (including pw/pd/tinted windows/tow hitch) with the equivelent of a 10 disc cd-changer. (about 120 mp3s on 1 cd-r)

Not to bad in my opinion.....what great bargains have you guys encountered...

Nick

[ 10-23-2002: Message edited by: trumptman ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Just a week ago I picked up at 1987 camaro RS with a 5.0 305. 87000 miles. 2500 bucks worth of work right down to steam cleaning the engine new tires and breaks. How much you ask? 1300 bucks.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    your mom was a bargain.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>your mom was a bargain.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's okay I still got a better deal. Your mom and your sister... that's two for one.

Would've added your girlfriend, but your mom was too busy coming back for seconds. I told her to wait and m*st*erbate. She said it was fine because that is the only way she gets any satisfaction around you.

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I don't know if a 100k car can be a bargin at all.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I thought you-momma jokes died out in eddie murphy's heyday?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    100K is nothing on a modern engine. On a early 90's jeep? Erm i dunno. But, for some engines that last forever look at the 3800 series pushrod V6 from GM, the GM 350 family, Nissan's V6 block (3.0L and up) and even their early 4's. I have seen each of these go well past 250K (family and friends) and still turn over perfectly long after other bits of the car had given up or fallen apart. One particularly old Nissan (nee Datsun) used for farm/bush work went past 450K on one engine, the body was disintegrating right before our eyes, but the engine just kept running. In fact, the body, steering and suspension can be more of a head-ache than the engine nowadays.

What do the rocker panels look like underneath, and the door sills? If nothing's rotting, you should be OK.

It just occured to me that you meant MILES? Ooops, should still be good (170K km) for a few years.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Engine? That may be fine. The rest of it may not be that great. You never know what someone did to their car. Stuck in the snow? Just gun it until you get out!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>your mom was a bargain.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I didn't think so. I got her for next to nothing and still returned her for a refund. She must be third or forth hand by now.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    For sure, the transmission and diffs are now the weakest points of most any driveline. I guess that's why people look for nice clean used cars owned by seniors or urban soccer moms.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Well here where I live in California, we don't have to exactly worry about rocker panel rust or things of that nature.

My brother who is a mechanic said that any engine made in the 90's ought to get at least 200k+ if it is decently taken care of.

My other Jeep was beaten to hell and I didn't take decent care of it at all. I overheated it a few times. (enough to where the headgasket should have blown) I would change the oil about every 10,000 miles. Last January I drove it 4 hours offroad down in Baja, Mexico.

On top of that I had oversize tires which put the speedo off about 6-8%. So when it reads 220k, it really means about 232k or more.

Starts with no trouble, runs great however as mentioned the drivetrain becomes the problem. It has a leaking slave cylinder which I do not want to repair because it would be about $400 including labor. Additionally I would probably want to do the clutch since I have never had it replaced since I owned it. (I bought it with 115k on it in 1996)

Again for $3300 (KBB is $5200) it is a steal. Most dummies are putting down $2-4,000 to LEASE a car with payments of $300 or paying $450-550 a MONTH to buy a car.

That is just crazy to pay for something that devalues so fast. It would be like leasing a computer for 4 years.

Nick

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: trumptman ]</p>