Fall iOS 5 release.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/26/ios...iling-at-wwdc/

Don't say I didn't warn you guys. I called September a while back. Apple has too much going on right now, they can't do a magical amount of work in an instant. These things take time. Especially if they want iOS 5 to be an impressive release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Actually, I think it's not such a big fail. I don't expect a major iOS version every year on the dot. But Ireland is right, Apple is trying to do a helluva lot of things at the same time right now. WWDC - no iOS5 official launch, no iPhone5 official launch.

Luckily for Apple, they have the luxury now that Honeycomb has been locked down so Android smartphone development has essentially slowed down, since Google themselves said don't use Honeycomb for smartphones!

In fact, all these other smartphone makers are sh**ting themselves because they were all hoping Android 3.0 would continue to let them take the headlines. But with Google playing favourites and having its own attention split with tablets, the iPhone 4 is looking very nice now even through the next six months.

HTC - WP7 is lukewarm, no Android 3.0

RIM - PlayBook distraction, aging OS with no real replacement

Nokia - Big shift to WP7

Samsung - no Android 3.0, will have to... (?)

BTW 2011 will be the real test for a COO ie. Tim Cook. If Apple can execute the best it reasonably can, even if, touch wood, Steve cannot continue, they will go into 2012 strong and capable while the competitors still stand flummoxed by the iPad 1 and 2.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Come to think of it, imagine how shafted you would feel if you were flying high on the Android bong. Development now is slowed down because Google locked down 3.0 and also suddenly shifted all their focus to tablets.

Nokia was smart to go to WP7, by the looks of it, but it's still not a fantastic alternative to Android and they're still not out of the woods.

Man, 2011 is going to be a confusing year for everyone. Back to churning out Android 2.x crapblets and crapphones.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    daemonkdaemonk Posts: 49member
    Nokia had a billion reasons to go WP7. I'm sure that made the decision easier.