Apple's iPad 2 coming to 500 RadioShack locations starting Tuesday

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Starting Tuesday, some of the most heavily trafficked RadioShack stores in the U.S. will begin selling the iPad 2, as Apple continues to expand the retail availability of its hot-selling touchscreen tablet.

AppleInsider has confirmed that the iPad 2 will be available at 500 RadioShack stores Tuesday. A corporate memo scarce on details only reveals that the chosen stores have already been informed they will receive the device for sale.

People familiar with the matter told AppleInsider that the deal to sell the iPad 2 at RadioShack was only finalized within the last few days.

The continued retail expansion comes only a few days after Apple launched the iPad 2 overseas in 25 countries. The second-generation iPad first went on sale in the U.S. earlier this month.

Signs of improving iPad 2 inventory came last week, when estimated shipping times from Apple's online store improved to three to four weeks. Previously, new orders were estimated to wait at least a month before shipment.

The iPad 2 has seen strong demand and regular sellouts at stores since it first became available. Apple's launch strategy has also been significantly more aggressive than with the first-generation iPad, which debuted only at Apple's stores and select Best Buy locations.

RadioShack's partnership with Apple expanded last March, when the company began selling the iPhone. The retailer also made waves late last year when it offered discounts on the iPhone, something rarely seen with Apple's rigidly priced handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Still waiting for mine...
  • Reply 2 of 44
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Still waiting for mine...

You and me both ;-)
  • Reply 3 of 44
    +1 - ordered mine a couple of weeks ago and it's still listed as 3 weeks off (April 20).
  • Reply 4 of 44
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    There's a small Radio Shack real close by me.

If I can get one there tomorrow, I obviously will, and I'll just cancel my online order with Apple. I don't care where I buy my iPad as long as I can get one and as long as it's not from a dirty scalper.

• Reply 5 of 44
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Good news. I have one across the street. I can try buying one from there since I couldn't get one from Bestbuy.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Radio shack gets them before i get mine.... (ordered from apple.com)

Doesn't seem fair / right.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    spuditspudit Posts: 49member
    It would be nice to see some instocks at ANY local stores before they keep rolling it out to the rest of the world....I know our local Radio Shack will get zero. I'm 150 miles away from the nearest Apple Store and the local Best Buy (got 20) and Target (got 5), Walmart (none), only had 16-32GB wifi only. No 3G, No 64GB, and no stock since. The Best Buy line was 100+ at one point.

A friend was at an Apple store this past Sat. morning...150 people waiting for Ipad 2's, they had got in between 15-20. I guess I should just resign myself to an online order and call it good. Radio Shack? C'mon Apple, fill up the pipeline at least a little bit first.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    This is a stupid move by Apple. Why are they spreading the inventory even more thinly, when supplies are so tight?

You can't get an iPad 2 online for weeks. No retailer has updated inventory information on their website. The only thing you can do order online and wait for weeks, or go stand in line at some retailer and hope for the best--because they can't tell you if they are getting any supplies or not.

I ordered my iPad two weeks ago, and I still have two more weeks to wait.

The lunacy of this launch is seriously degrading my goodwill towards Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slinberg View Post

+1 - ordered mine a couple of weeks ago and it's still listed as 3 weeks off (April 20).

I have mine already I ordered it at 1:30 am on day 1 and was delivered 1 week later, this is by far the easiet and most useful computer I have ever owned because I can take it everywhere with minimal foorprint (like carying a paper notebook and inconspicuous) and sync my docs, music, and so on. I've been using the Note Taker app for a week now (from the guy who designed VisiCalc)

have fun
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Yeah, it does seem kinda silly. Why bother expanding distribution when you can't keep your current stores stocked? I don't get it. That said, it does seem like they are finally ramping up production a bit. I ordered mine on launch day, March 11th, and was told it would ship on April 1st. Got an email on the 26th saying it had been shipped, so it went out a week early. I agree with others in this thread though - they need to fill the orders they have in hand before expanding to new stores.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    why are you blaming your tardiness on ordering online on Apple and then advising being selfish by insisting Apple supplies your area before other area? Grow up
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeepBlue2 View Post

This is a stupid move by Apple. Why are they spreading the inventory even more thinly, when supplies are so tight?

You can't get an iPad 2 online for weeks. No retailer has updated inventory information on their website. The only thing you can do order online and wait for weeks, or go stand in line at some retailer and hope for the best--because they can't tell you if they are getting any supplies or not.

I agree. I've supported Apple so far through this. But this new move is crazy. Apple should fulfill the orders it has before shipping thousands of units to new suppliers.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Apple just does weird things sometimes.

They charged my checkcard for my iPad 2 on the 23rd. No update on the order at all on the 23rd or 24th.

On the 26th I get an email stating that the order had shipped! Hooray! Tracking # and everything.

Today I checked my bank account and they had cancelled the CC charge for some reason. No longer shows as pending and the money's sitting in my account. So, for the moment at least, I have a free iPad on the way. Just bizarre.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    They had trouble with stocks before the earthquake in Japan. The other AI news item is that the battery factory, Kareha Corp, in Japan is shutdown.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeepBlue2 View Post

Hey, be glad - I ordered mine 2 weeks ago and I have over 3 weeks to wait for mine, according to my order status. Sending units to Radio Shack is b.s. when they can't even fill the orders they already have.

I'm not happy with Apple either... I went on launch day, hoping to get one. I got there too late (still before opening, but not in time to get a "ticket" - which no one had told me they were going to start handing out tickets halfway through the day either)....but whatever. None of the employees made any effort to help me get one ordered or anything - they didn't give a shit.

I've gone to the Apple store several times, asking if they know when they get shipments or when the best time to check is (not asking for exact times/dates, just generally speaking - should I even bother checking the store during my lunch hour?). No one would give me any answer at all until recently someone finally told me that they only ever give out tickets in the mornings before store opening - people line up at like 5-6am. I tried going there last week, at 6am, and there were a bunch of guys waiting and they had already gotten all the tickets. I tried again the next day, slightly earlier.... same bunch of guys all in line - all got tickets. I could have gotten a white 16GB Verizon, but that's not what I want at all - but that was the only "ticket" they had left after handing out tickets to resellers.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    If Apple has enough to fill 500 Rat Shack shelves why are early orders from launch day STILL at the factory?? I admit, mine finally shipped and they (FedEx) may actually deliver it a couple of days early but that's because everything Apple can squeeze into Q1 better the stock will do !!!

Still, it took 2 weeks plus from ordering at 7:30am on US launch day.... maybe I'll get lucky and FedEx will actually show up today !!!
  • Reply 17 of 44
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I wonder if I can get a free gun when I go to get my iPad?

I'll bring it with me the next time I visit a real Apple store, so that I can fend off the scalpers.

• Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I have mine already I ordered it at 1:30 am on day 1 and was delivered 1 week later, this is by far the easiet and most useful computer I have ever owned because I can take it everywhere with minimal foorprint (like carying a paper notebook and inconspicuous) and sync my docs, music, and so on. I've been using the Note Taker app for a week now (from the guy who designed VisiCalc)

have fun

Thanks for the heads up on Note Taker. I just bought it for our 6 iPads -- 1 each plus 1 (call me DaHarder 2).

It looks awesome!

I owned some some computer stores (1978-89). My partner beta tested VisiCalc. He was an expert by the time it was released.

AIR, it sold for $79 (or $99) -- at the time, most Apple ][ software sold for $9.99 - $19-99.

A customer would by several thousands of $ worth of hardware to be able to run the $79 VisiCalc program.

We made lots of $ because of VisiCalc.

Looks like Note Taker could be a similar driver for iPad use/sales.

/
  • Reply 19 of 44
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

Radio shack gets them before i get mine.... (ordered from apple.com)

Doesn't seem fair / right.

Maybe they ordered before you..
  • Reply 20 of 44
    tedpoetedpoe Posts: 2member
    Radio Shack is always late to the party. All the important stores got their shipment on Friday or Saturday. The majority of fans are now buying their iPad 2 online. A good place to purchase the iPad 2 online is http://www.digitalundivide.com . But the site also has options for getting an iPad 2 for free if you follow certain conditions.