A Query

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hello guys, i have a couple of questions that i'm sure you guys will sniff at. Unfortunately i'm a total Apple newb so these questions might seem quite silly to you.

First of all I have an iphone 3gs, and if it makes any difference i'm from the UK.

I was having a look at the iMovie app, i'm a film student so I was thinking about getting something like this. Unfortunately it says in the appstore that it requires iOS 4.2.6 or later. I've been led to believe that this iOS is not on the 3GS which I have, and therefore I need a iphone 4 in order to have this app. Is that true? If i paid for it and synced it to my iphone, would it fail to work?

This is also linked to my other question, will my 3GS never be able to support any app that requires iOS 4? If so this is quite worrying as I only got my iphone fairly recently (obviously I wanted to get a iphone 4, but as a student I couldn't afford it. My phone was broken and I was told by my service provider that I could get a free upgrade to a 3gs, but not an iphone 4. I took it because I needed a phone).

I'm also worried that when the iphone 5 comes out, no new apps will be made that my 3gs will be able to support. Is this a valid worry?

Again, I apologise if the questions seem asinine or obvious to you guys.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ratpack View Post

I need a iphone 4 in order to have this app. Is that true?

Yep.

Quote:

If i paid for it and synced it to my iphone, would it fail to work?

Yep.

Quote:

This is also linked to my other question, will my 3GS never be able to support any app that requires iOS 4?

??? The 3GS can already run the newest version of iOS 4. Just upgrade to 4.3.1.

Quote:

I'm also worried that when the iphone 5 comes out, no new apps will be made that my 3gs will be able to support. Is this a valid worry?

Only if the 3GS can't run iOS 5, which is likely.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep.

Yep.

??? The 3GS can already run the newest version of iOS 4. Just upgrade to 4.3.1.

Only if the 3GS can't run iOS 5, which is likely.

So is the iMovie app in the minority of apps that are only supported by the iphone 4 then? Are there many apps that i wouldn't be able to run with my 3gs

When the iphone 5 comes out, will that essentially mean the end of getting new apps for a 3gs? Because if so, that's really annoying.

Thank you for the reply
  • Reply 3 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

So is the iMovie app in the minority of apps that are only supported by the iphone 4 then?

Oh, there are quite a few that require the iPhone 4, either for the gyroscope, multiple cameras, or speed of the A4 chip.

Quote:

Are there many apps that i wouldn't be able to run with my 3gs

Yes, and there are quite a few that you can. 350,000 apps is enough to satiate anyone's needs.

Quote:

When the iphone 5 comes out, will that essentially mean the end of getting new apps for a 3gs?

Like I said before, we can't really know until Apple releases the system requirements for iOS 5, but you should err on the side of incompatibility for safety's sake. If iOS 5 works on the 3GS, then it's a happy surprise.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, there are quite a few that require the iPhone 4, either for the gyroscope, multiple cameras, or speed of the A4 chip.

Yes, and there are quite a few that you can. 350,000 apps is enough to satiate anyone's needs.

Like I said before, we can't really know until Apple releases the system requirements for iOS 5, but you should err on the side of incompatibility for safety's sake. If iOS 5 works on the 3GS, then it's a happy surprise.

Ok, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:

I was having a look at the iMovie app, i'm a film student so I was thinking about getting something like this.

I guess editing on the go is something to pass the time but I really think an iPad would do a much better job at this. Those timeline pans will probably get a bit frustrating after a while on such a small screen. It's a shame you have to get the iPad 2 for this.

Anyway, there is an alternative app you can try out that supports the 3GS:

http://www.macgasm.net/2011/03/30/vi...al-iphone-app/

I think there are a couple of others in the App Store. You won't get the effects iMovie has but you will at least be able to order clips the way you want.

You won't however be doing serious editing on it e.g. dropping uncompressed/ProRes files onto it to edit.