New 13" MBP Video Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey all,

I have a new 13" MPB with SSD and 4g of ram. When I'm watching longer videos on say megavideo it will freeze for a long period of time (10-20 minutes) and the fans will quickly come on at full blast. I feel like there has to be some reason this is happening. My old 13" Macbook never did that and its 3.5 years old...

Help!

Thanks,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Haven't looked at the code on the megavideo site but I do notice a fair bit of what looks like flash content - it's likely to be that <blind stab in dark>
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sgtpepersgtpeper Posts: 124member
    Its strange that its completely locking up my computer though for that amount of time. Why does it not do that to my older/slower computer?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Sry - can't answer specifically other than to say that on OS 10.5.8 Safari will load web content far more reliably and faster for me than on 10.6.6

I'm just right now upgrading to 10.6.7 - I hope that it improves.

Other posters on the net have said that Safari can have memory leaks because of flash amongst other things. Flash has caused issues in the past for Mac OS's. I just wish that this can all be resolved hopefully by web devs adopting html5 - but that too is work in progress at the moment.

Safari on 10.6.6 can appear to hang and drop communication with some sites - I observe this from the Little Snitch network icon in the menu bar. Only with some sites not all.

It's weird - I also have to say that Safari on 10.6.6 is far less likely to hang if hard wired rather than connecting on wifi.

edit: I should also add that so much page content comes from outside sites like Google ad services and others these days that I wonder if these are contributing to the problem,

I mean even our beloved AI has content loaded from offsite and AI is one of the sites that I have issues with !

Pages not loading - hangs ....

It's enough to drive a man to drink I tells ya !

<gurgle>
  • Reply 4 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post

Its strange that its completely locking up my computer though for that amount of time. Why does it not do that to my older/slower computer?

AdBlock extension.

Click2Flash extension.

Problem solved.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    sgtpepersgtpeper Posts: 124member
    Whats adblock extension and click2flash??
  • Reply 6 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post

Whats adblock extension and click2flash??

Keeps Flash from running without your say-so.

Blocks ads. GLORIOUS.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Thanks for reminding me about those Tallest - I've seen you post about them before.

I'm going to dl them and give them a go.

cheers, r

edit: kewl, thx again Tallest !
  • Reply 8 of 8
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

AdBlock extension.

Click2Flash extension.

Problem solved.

They both do not work for me. same problem happening