Prizefight: Motorola Xoom vs. Apple iPad 2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Not sure that Brian Tong is the most un-biased guy out there for this, but it seemed like a decent assessment.

I've never actually used an Android tablet, so I can't really comment. But just from what I've seen on YouTube and other videos around the web, it seems far more complicated than iOS. I'm sure that appeals to a lot of geeks who want it that way. But iOS has that classic Apple simplicity (IMO), while at the same time allowing the user to get as complex as he wants. It's a perfect combo, it seems to me.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Not sure that Brian Tong is the most un-biased guy out there for this, but it seemed like a decent assessment.

I've never actually used an Android tablet, so I can't really comment. But just from what I've seen on YouTube and other videos around the web, it seems far more complicated than iOS. I'm sure that appeals to a lot of geeks who want it that way. But iOS has that classic Apple simplicity (IMO), while at the same time allowing the user to get as complex as he wants. It's a perfect combo, it seems to me.

The absence of Flash on iOS is still a major hurdle for me. But if he wants to "get as complex as he wants" the user – and especially the tinkerer – is locked into iOS and Apple's apps on the iPad. The form factor and weight – =mobility – and the battery life and iOS user friendliness, however, will indeed make the iPad have the greatest appeal to the masses, old and young, imo.

Right now I don't see either replacing my current 17" MBP/Nexus One combo for portability and power, though. There is free Teamviewer, after all.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

The absence of Flash on iOS is still a major hurdle for me. But if he wants to "get as complex as he wants" the user ? and especially the tinkerer ? is locked into iOS and Apple's apps on the iPad. The form factor and weight ? =mobility ? and the battery life and iOS user friendliness, however, will indeed make the iPad have the greatest appeal to the masses, old and young, imo.

Right now I don't see either replacing my current 17" MBP/Nexus One combo for portability and power, though. There is free Teamviewer, after all.

I'm curious what sites you need Flash for?

I run into none, personally.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Please all note the Xoom and Motorola is pretty much irrelevant outside the US.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

I'm curious what sites you need Flash for?

I run into none, personally.

Of course, people who never get out don't need underpants.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    gwlaw99gwlaw99 Posts: 134member
    Quote:

I'm sure that appeals to a lot of geeks who want it that way.

If you have 100 posts on a fan site for a piece of electronics you too are a geek.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Of course, people who never get out don't need underpants.

In the case of Android, a tablet OS that craps it's self constantly, a case of Depends can't solve all of it's problems. An iOS based device could go to a nudie beach with confidence.

So I guess what you are saying is that Android is the OS for the less confident and those subject to uncontrolled emissions. Most here would tend to agree.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

I would half agree with you. iOS is easier for beginners. But for power users it is actually EASIER to modify things on Android. Why? You don't have to screw around with jailbreaking or crap. And thus you can update the OS after you customize it. It's why I went Android. I want to be allowed to customize my device the way I want it to work. Unfortunately there is no "Advance User" button on iOS that lets you tweak low-level stuff. You have to crack it. To me, it just sounded like a royal pain. And I wanted buttons. Like a camera button. No one at Google is going to swat down a developer for utilizing a physical button the way they want to. That was a key decision for me, when Apple canned Camera+ or whatever. I detest the touchscreen taking the place of physical buttons like the shutter. I have been following iPhone/Droid and waiting to make an informed purchase for a long time. While iPhone is the best solution for some Mac users, I think that for other Mac users Android might be a good solution.

I'm actually impressed. Android doesn't "suck". That's why I've taken to defending it here. Android is actually great. I watch Flash videos on it all the time. I have a slider keyboard so I can prop it up with a little kickstand built into the case, and it's a little mini-tv / computer. And I'm all about widgets. In fact I like them so much I make start to use Dashboard more on OS X again! I just want other Mac users to know Android is a good product and worth checking out to see if it fits you best.

Now I was thinking phones..but the same goes for tablets, but even more so. People will want computer-level capabilities. Things like USB and SD card readers will be coming with Android tablets inevitably, as well as other ports, capabilities, etc. I see Android tablets working well in businesses, fieldwork, etc.

Lastly, the MacBook Air 11" is a subnotebook. At last, at last!!!! It looks almost smaller than an iPad. Could be another solution for people needing a mobile computer on the go. I wish they expanded the screen out to the bezel edge more, though. Could have packed in another inch. Add touchscreen to a MacBook Air 11" that can fold the screen back entirely on itself. HELL YES. I have been wondering why Apple didn't add touch to laptops for a long time. Glue the iPad screen to a MacBook Air with a swivel hinge or something. Sell at a premium. Could be a hit. I guess they'd need to figure out a way to protect the keyboard on the other side, though.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Now I was thinking phones..but the same goes for tablets, but even more so. People will want computer-level capabilities. Things like USB and SD card readers will be coming with Android tablets inevitably, as well as other ports, capabilities, etc. I see Android tablets working well in businesses, fieldwork, etc.

I am not sure if you are an iPad user - but I for one would like them to find ways to make it thinner and lighter rather than add ports. One is always handling a pad while using it and just the small difference in the weight between the iPad 1 and 2 makes a big difference to me. Anything like USB and card readers that you are not using all the time is best done with an external adaptor like Apple is doing in order to keep the weight lower.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ssampath View Post

I am not sure if you are an iPad user - but I for one would like them to find ways to make it thinner and lighter rather than add ports. One is always handling a pad while using it and just the small difference in the weight between the iPad 1 and 2 makes a big difference to me. Anything like USB and card readers that you are not using all the time is best done with an external adaptor like Apple is doing in order to keep the weight lower.

I'm not an iPad user. I like devices that do more. I like to have fewer devices but each one that has more power. That sacrifices the smaller size as you have illustrated. I'm the flip side of the coin from you mate. We're perfect examples of the two different ends of the user spectrum.

For people that need more power eventually Android tablets will be the answer. For now, however, I actually think Apple completely OWNS the space. iPad is more powerful in terms of speed and GUI responsiveness, mainly because they're in the odd position of being the dominant 800-lb gorilla in this market, and can make deals for parts. It'll probably be another year or so before an Android tablet is more powerful than an iPad in terms of speed for price. Their A5 gambit seems to be paying off short-term. But eventually some will want a powerful tablet but with ports, other hardware options, etc that Apple doesn't offer. They will come to Android. Perhaps later this year or next. For now, I will readily agree, Apple still makes the best tablet, for 99% of uses. Android has a lot of catching up to do for sure.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I just noticed in one of the Chinese forums that Motorola has launched the Zoom there as of March 31st. With Apple's iPad2 not yet officially available, it's getting quite a bit of attention based on posts. Several Chinese software and map/navigation providers are jumping on board. Despite a lackluster showing in the US, Motorola may accidentally sell quite a few of these if Apple delays an official China launch for more than a few weeks. Of course there's also a healthy iPad gray market in China.\