The Future of Apple Inc.?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I am writing a report on the future developments of Apple and would like to gather some opinions regarding Apple's future potenially without Steve Jobs.

Do you think Apple will continue to grow and develop with the same force it has done under Jobs?

Is the current business structure able to cope without Jobs' inspiration, creativity and drive? Can somebody else step up to the mark?

..or will competitors like Microsoft and Google excel, with Apple's loss (of Jobs)?

Any responses and opinions will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ppm11 View Post

..or will competitors like Microsoft and Google excel, with Apple's loss (of Jobs)?

Doesn't matter if Jobs is there or not, the answer to this one is, "No."
  • Reply 2 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Without Jobs you won't have the continual string of kick-assery that happened this past decade. I don't know what Apple will be like but they got a good 5-year headstart over everyone so the moment Jobs leaves we won't know the real impact until 5 years on.

Small effects can be seen now though, I believe there has been something not quite cohesive about the recent Apple products... MacBook Pros have Thunderbolt which seems a bit ahead of available peripherals, Jobs normally would have lined up accessories and have those accessory makers demo them. The iPad 2 is great, but the graphics seemed designed for Retina Display quality but they probably had to save that for iPad 3. Plus the iPad 2 camera quality is pretty horrible.

In some countries you cannot buy an iPad 2 from official Apple Stores unless you "reserve" them first which is a very bizarre process of musical chairs played through your browser because there are thousands trying to reserve very few models of iPad 2 per store. You can read the Australian forums about this.

So personally I'm starting to see a lack of cohesion. Also Apple does not seem to be able to ramp quantity of units for iPhone and iPad fast enough for the market. This of course is very challenging as they are producing volumes of products an order of magnitude greater than just several years ago.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I agree there may be a lack of cohesion starting without Jobs, but even so, Apple is such an innovative company. Yes, Jobs is one of the main reasons why Apple is the company it is today, but the rate that Apple is continuing to advance and innovate their products is incredible. Personally, I do not think that Microsoft and Google will be able to "replace" Apple by any means - nothing is the same as a Mac or iPhone or iPad, etc. I certainly hope Apple continues to advance and improve their products the same as without Jobs in the future.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ppm11ppm11 Posts: 4member
    I feel Jobs has the screwd, more market orientated outlook, with the personalitly to make bold, creative changes based on how he sees the future trends. And don't know if anyone else could fill his position in terms of making these decisions. I've heared people suggest Jony Ive - but as a product designer I'm not sure he would be the right man, there has also been rumours of Steve Wozniak returning, but since the start of Apple, Wozniak seems to of taken a slightly more backward stance and concentrate on product development rather than company direction.

In terms of the competition, it will be interesting to see how Windows Phone 7 does in the market and what, if any impact Microsoft's collaboration with Nokia has on the phones market.

To Tallest Skill: Do you not think Apple will loose a bit of direction if Jobs does leave? Especially as Google are rapidly growing and looking to expand their product range with the pending aquirement of $900m worth of patents? As well as their majority market share in the phones market. I'm sure many manufactures will use Android for their tablets, which may well see Android dominate the tablet market too?

Thanks for the responses guys, please keep the opinions coming!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ppm11 View Post

To Tallest Skill: Do you not think Apple will loose a bit of direction if Jobs does leave?

Sure. Doesn't mean at all that Google, et. al. will do anything even remotely close to succeeding.

Quote:

Especially as Google are rapidly growing and looking to expand their product range

If there's one thing the last decade and a half has told us, it's that customers like fewer choices than more.

Quote:

I'm sure many manufactures will use Android for their tablets, which may well see Android dominate the tablet market too?

Honeycomb sucks. Everyone is realizing this now. Fewer manufacturers are going to make tablets because of the failures of the Xoom and others.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sure. Doesn't mean at all that Google, et. al. will do anything even remotely close to succeeding.

If there's one thing the last decade and a half has told us, it's that customers like fewer choices than more.

Honeycomb sucks. Everyone is realizing this now. Fewer manufacturers are going to make tablets because of the failures of the Xoom and others.

Fair enough but in 2011 to 2012 it will be Android dominating smartphones, at least in terms of sheer numbers. Windows Phone 7 and Nokia etc will take a few years to ramp up.

If you are a smartphone manufacturer you have not many choices in the short term ie. next 1-2 years. Android is pretty much where you have to go, even if you are developing your own OS.

I am really looking forward to the Apple earnings report on how many iPhones they've sold in calendar Q1 2011. Apple has got to still be churning out as many of them as they can, regardless if Android "won" "the war".