Ground Breaking Lion Feature...Just Hit Me...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
....like a ton of bricks!

Aside from the developer previews Apple has been posting, we still have not seen a lot of the features in Lion. The developer previews are dated and a more current version of the OS is in the hands at Apple in their labs.

Anyway, it hit me...with the new glitch "ix.Mac.MarketingName" appearing.

One of the features of Lion that Apple is making a big deal about is Full Screen applications. Every iPhone and iPad app already, natively runs in full screen.

The iOS and Mac OS share the same backbone. iOS apps are already pretty much Cocoa apps...

Who wants to bet Apple will announce that iOS apps will be able to run on a Mac?

BAM Suddenly there are more than 350,000 apps available on the Mac platform!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Who wants to bet Apple will announce that iOS apps will be able to run on a Mac?

BAM Suddenly there are more than 350,000 apps available on the Mac platform!

When they had the whole 'Back to the Mac' event, there were very strong hints of the iOS/Mac convergence. I think they will require that iOS apps be recompiled - not just because they'd be emulated but from the point of the file locations because on a Mac, files don't get deleted when you delete an app. A huge number of apps won't translate either as there's no accelerometer etc. For those reasons, there likely won't be as many apps - it will be a similar situation with the iPad.

The more important move IMO is in the other direction. Getting fully-fledged Mac apps onto iOS devices so that some people can move away from traditional computers. Most iOS apps are almost like widgets so I doubt there will be much of an impact bringing them to the Mac beyond killing off Flash games.

Microsoft are trying this convergence too but going about it the wrong way. They are happy with the Windows UI and want to use that on tablets while keeping Windows Phone OS on smartphones. That just doesn't seem like it's going to work to me.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Not me. Zero percent chance. It removes all incentive to purchase an iDevice. Not happening.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not me. Zero percent chance. It removes all incentive to purchase an iDevice. Not happening.

I disagree completely. I have a MBP 17" and I am getting tired of lugging it around. If I could keep it stationary at home/office running the pro apps and then being able to use an iPad on the go for everything else, I'm all for it. And then I have my iPhone for my phone.

Apple is not looking to replace Macintosh hardware with the iDevices.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

I disagree completely. I have a MBP 17" and I am getting tired of lugging it around. If I could keep it stationary at home/office running the pro apps and then being able to use an iPad on the go for everything else, I'm all for it. And then I have my iPhone for my phone.

I already do that: leaving my 17" MBP at home more often, when I used to lug it around all the time. With free Teamviewer I can remotely operate my MBP and iMac back home from any iPhone, iPad, Android phone, Android tablet, or Blackberry. Or even from any other Mac, PC, or Linux machine.

OR I can remotely take over and operate someone else's Mac, PC, or Linux machine (with their permission) to e.g. perform software installs and uninstalls, or really just anything, on that machine.

This is how I am the mobile 'helpdesk' and 'SysAdmin' for a few people. One of which lives 5,000 miles away, on the other side of an ocean. And I don't have to be at home or in the office to do it. I can do it anywhere I am. Even without a laptop or desktop computer!

Add a free SugarSync virtual USB-stick (5GB) to all those devices (because DropBox was recently proven to contain a nasty exploit) and you have all your files, all your storage, and all your CPU power available to you wherever you are, and on any Teamviewer/SugarSync 'enabled' device.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Just curious...

Why is Rokcet Scientist banned ??
  • Reply 6 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Just curious...

Why is Rokcet Scientist banned ??

PM a mod or e-mail him. Ban reasons tend not to be a discussed topic.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    I agree.

Apps in iTunes that are suitable for a Mac can simply show up in Mission Control.

I don't think it will hurt iDevices as their main appeal is that it fits in a shirt pocket, for instance.

Apple could have them run seamlessly in an emulator.