lion ios 10.7 on older core 2 macs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
has anyone used developer lion on 2 year old imac? i am curious if new ios will be too slow on older core 2 duo macs. my real question is, will i feel slow downs compared to most recent 10.6.7 which runs great at this time.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    First explain why you feel the need to put iOS in this thread at all.



    It will run fine.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog View Post


    has anyone used developer lion on 2 year old imac? i am curious if new ios will be too slow on older core 2 duo macs. my real question is, will i feel slow downs compared to most recent 10.6.7 which runs great at this time.



    iOS does not run on the Mac. MacOS X runs on the iMac. You may also run Windows, LInux, and non-Apple ports of BSD. iOS runs on the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple TV. None of these devices run Lion.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


    iOS does not run on the Mac. MacOS X runs on the iMac. You may also run Windows, LInux, and non-Apple ports of BSD. iOS runs on the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple TV. None of these devices run Lion.





    did not mean ios. want to know if i need newer mac to gain benefits of lion. current system runs well and i prefer not to have slower imac with update.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog View Post


    ... want to know if i need newer mac to gain benefits of lion. ...



    Of course, it will. Why would you think otherwise?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Vista springs to mind... :-)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog View Post


    did not mean ios. want to know if i need newer mac to gain benefits of lion. current system runs well and i prefer not to have slower imac with update.



    If your system has an Intel Core Solo or Core Duo CPU (32-bit), yes, you must get a newer machine. If you have an Intel Core 2 Duo (64-bit), you will be fine.



    If you have a Intel Core 2 Duo Merom CPU, you may need to default to the 32-bit kernel in Lion, but you can run either 32-bit or 64-bit apps fine. I don't have the preview of Lion, but from what I have read, I am pretty sure this is true. This is the type of CPU in my mid 2007 iMac.



    If you have a Core 2 Duo Penryn (early 2008) or later CPU, you can use the default 64-bit kernel in Lion, and you will be fine.



    The best thing to do is to wait until Lion is released, then go to Apple.com and check the specs for Lion. To find out what CPU you have, click on 'Apple' in the upper left corner of the screen, and then click on 'About This Mac'.
Sign In or Register to comment.