Pre-release albums

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The second time I have run into this: I come across an album by someone and I even check it out, but then it appears this album hasn't even been released yet.

It happened with Björk's Vespertine, which I had already 'listened to' weeks before its release. And now, I run across (involintarily, not a fan at all) the new album of Mariah Carey, Charmbracelet. Appears this album will be released december 3th, but here it is, nonetheless, sitting ... well, somewhere closeby, ready to be trashed sans merci (coincidence actually that this ended up here in the first place).

Does anybody know why, how, WTF? :eek: :confused:

EDIT: Can't really believe it, but this album by Jennifer Lopez, which has been shamefully (again, I plead not guilty, don't even like her... music) sitting on my HD for over a week appears to be released only come monday. WTF twice...

[ 11-23-2002: Message edited by: der Kopf ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    If you are referring to albums appearing online it's generally because a lot of CDs get shipped to people for promotional reasons. For instance I know the &lt;position edited to protect him&gt; (if I told you what he did you'd go, "Cool" ) and he gets packs of pre-release CDs. He gets packs of CDs period. You never have to buy a CD as long as he's your friend

Point is the pre-release CDs end up floating around.

As for appearing in stores, they shouldn't. Quite frequently more popular CDs are shipped to stores early though and are just meant to be held off the shelves for a while. Quite often that doesn't happen though.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    [quote]Originally posted by der Kopf:

<strong>The second time I have run into this: I come across an album by someone and I even check it out, but then it appears this album hasn't even been released yet.

It happened with Björk's Vespertine, which I had already 'listened to' weeks before its release. And now, I run across (involintarily, not a fan at all) the new album of Mariah Carey, Charmbracelet. Appears this album will be released december 3th, but here it is, nonetheless, sitting ... well, somewhere closeby, ready to be trashed sans merci (coincidence actually that this ended up here in the first place).

Does anybody know why, how, WTF? :eek: :confused:

EDIT: Can't really believe it, but this album by Jennifer Lopez, which has been shamefully (again, I plead not guilty, don't even like her... music) sitting on my HD for over a week appears to be released only come monday. WTF twice...

[ 11-23-2002: Message edited by: der Kopf ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I also had Björk's Vespertine before it came out officially. Strange is, that on the pre-release is also the song "it's in our hands" , which isn't on the official album. Is it also on yours ???