A question of SSD...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello all!

I purchased a used mid-2009 model MacBook Pro for my recording business...

I would like to upgrade to HDD to a SSD, but am not sure about which to go with. My plan is to go with a SSD of about 64GB capacity onboard the laptop, with a larger, external HDD for storage once i'm done with projects. I might go with 128GB, but am not sure...

Any suggestions?

I do a lot of audio editing, recording, converting, etc., so there's a lot of stuff going on in the drive

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

-Nathan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bro.nathan View Post

Hello all!

I purchased a used mid-2009 model MacBook Pro for my recording business...

I would like to upgrade to HDD to a SSD, but am not sure about which to go with. My plan is to go with a SSD of about 64GB capacity onboard the laptop, with a larger, external HDD for storage once i'm done with projects. I might go with 128GB, but am not sure...

Any suggestions?

I do a lot of audio editing, recording, converting, etc., so there's a lot of stuff going on in the drive

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

-Nathan

I've got the same Macbook Pro, with an OCZ Vertex 2 25nm edition SSD in the optical bay, and a 1TB hard drive in the HD bay. I love it. The optical drive goes in a bus-powered external housing, so you can still use it when you want to rip DVDs and CDs. If you don't need the optical drive when you're out on the go, this may be a far better way to go than having an external HD for storage.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Hey thanks for the reply!

I didn't know you could utilize the disk drive for a hard drive... Sounds interesting; and handy!

I heard that the current generation OCZ Vertex 25nm are slower than the previous generation at 32nm... do you know anything about that?

Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bro.nathan View Post

Hey thanks for the reply!

I didn't know you could utilize the disk drive for a hard drive... Sounds interesting; and handy!

I heard that the current generation OCZ Vertex 25nm are slower than the previous generation at 32nm... do you know anything about that?

Thanks!

Haven't heard that, and I haven't run benchmarks myself, but I'm pleased with the drive. The 25nm drive will be easier on your battery life, and if there's a difference in performance, it's got to be negligible.

To put the SSD in the optical bay, you need to buy a mounting bracket from either MCE or MaxConnect. I bought the MaxConnect because it was $10 cheaper and the optical drive enclosure looked nicer (looks nice, but it's just cheap plastic), but i found the quality to be so-so. It didn't seem to fit well, actually, and I couldn't install two of the screws that are somehow supposed to attach the drive to the bracket. It was probably my problem though.