What does being hispanic mean?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I don't live in the U.S., so can anyone answer the following questions:

1)If you are black and born in Latin America, are you black, hispanic or black hispanic?

2) If you have hispanic parents, you are white and are born in the U.S., are you white or hispanic?

3) If you have native hispanic parents and you are born in the U.S., what are you?

4) If you have native hispanic parents and you are born in Germany and come to the U.S., are you considered hispanic?

6) If your great grand parents are those from 3 are you still considered hispanic?

5) Does the term hispanic include Spanish people (from Spain)?

6) If your mother is a U.S. white and your father a white hispanic are you white or hispanic?

7) If your father is a U.S. white and your mother a white hispanic are you white or hispanic?

8) If your parents are both black hispanics and you are born in the U.S. are you black or hispanic?

9) If one of your parents is a U.S. black and the other a black hispanic are you black hispanic or black?

10) If both of your parents are U.S. whites and you are born in a Latin American country and grow up there are you white or white hispanic?

11) If both of your parents are U.S. whites and you are born in a Latin American country but grow up in the U.S. are you white or white hispanic?

12) Question 10 but having U.S. black parents instead of white.

13) Question 11 but having U.S. black parents instead of white.

14) Why is it not common to see the term black hispanic but instead white hispanic is commonly used?

15) If you are brazilian are you hispanic? If yes, then what about if you are from portugal?

16) If portuguese and/or spanish people are considered hispanics then are italian and greek people also hispanics?

17) If two U.S. whites adopt a white baby in Latin America, is the baby white or hispanic?

18) Same as 17 but black parents and black baby instead of white.

Sorry, but I simply can't understand such term. Why is place of origin so important, why mix it with races? Shouldn't it be a separate category? And even then, why divide people racially anyways.

Oh and one last question which is not related to the term hispanic:

19) Is Michael Jackson black or white?

[ 11-28-2002: Message edited by: soulcrusher ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    So everyone is as clueless as I am?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    yes

I have a friend whose partents are from Suriname. They met in amsterdam and married. He was born there. He's more dutch than the "real" dutchmen I meet there. So figgure that one out.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Hispanic in its purest definition is someone who has roots directly back to Spain but lives in the U.S., Mexico, Central or South America.

The reason for the rise of the term is to associate yourself with being white or European and not Indian, or a native person.

In the U.S. there was a very large white majority. Because of this they could easily overrun the Native American population and also easily keep control of the slave population which was of course black. The numbers were so overwhelming that they were even unafraid to make laws like the one drop law which made you "black" or slave if yo had one drop of African blood in you.

When you compare to the situation in Mexico, and other Latin countries, you have just the opposite. There was a rather small white population trying to control a very large native population. Overtime of course people began to mix with regard to the populations. However power had to be kept as close as possible and so the more "white" or Spanish you could prove you were, the more likely you were to have and continue to receive status because of your background. This power by shading of white to black exists even today. It is especially true in countries like Brazil.

Anyway.. that is a nice start on it, I am sure some others might add some more details.

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Hispanic is a term that was created by the U.S. Census Bureau so that they had a way to classify a group of people - basically everyone from Mexico/Spain/Latin America/South America.

Many people find it offensive and prefer either Latino or Chicano.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    But everyone from the regions you mention can also be classified into separate races, so why mix the place of origin with race? I don't understand that.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>yes

I have a friend whose partents are from Suriname. They met in amsterdam and married. He was born there. He's more dutch than the "real" dutchmen I meet there. So figgure that one out.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I sincerely question that - most Surinam people I know in Holland think they're Snoop Dogg.

If he's more Dutch than "real" Dutchmen I suppose he is:

White

A cheapskate

A know it all

Nosy

At least bi lingual

Square?

If yes - granted - he's really very Dutch
  • Reply 7 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by soulcrusher:

<strong>1)If you are black and born in Latin America, are you black, hispanic or black hispanic?

Hispanic - a Chinese born in Australia is still Chinese

2) If you have hispanic parents, you are white and are born in the U.S., are you white or hispanic?

If both your parents are hispanic there is not a chance that you are white - next question please.

3) If you have native hispanic parents and you are born in the U.S., what are you?

Hispanic - Hispanic is a race - American is a nationality

4) If you have native hispanic parents and you are born in Germany and come to the U.S., are you considered hispanic?

Yes - as above

5) Does the term hispanic include Spanish people (from Spain)?

No. Strangely enough they are considered white. Even though they are latin.

19) Is Michael Jackson black or white?

black - being a race is not determined by the colour of your skin - the colour of your skin is determined by your race.

[ 11-28-2002: Message edited by: soulcrusher ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Someone else do the rest - I'm tired
  • Reply 8 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by macfenian:

<strong>

Someone else do the rest - I'm tired

</strong>

<hr></blockquote>

I think most of those are wrong.

Being spanish is a nationality.

Hispanic is demographic term based on language i.e. spanish-speaking.

Black and white are colours, not 'races'.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    [quote]Originally posted by stupider...likeafox:

<strong>

I think most of those are wrong.

Being spanish is a nationality.

Hispanic is demographic term based on language i.e. spanish-speaking.

Black and white are colours, not 'races'.</strong><hr></blockquote>

But at least we agree on how to spell "colour"

• Reply 10 of 15
    i tend to think of hispanics as people who are, or are descendant from, Spaniards who bred the Native Americans [back in the era when Spain first came to America]. Where the descendants go after that period in history is irrelevant, because they and their kin are Hispanic [in my thinking].

Now, the term white. I tend to think of white people as people who's entire ancestry is from Europe. I tend not to think of Hispanics as completely white.

According to the dictionary, I got the terms a bit miffed though. Hispanic refers to Spain or Spanish speaking america.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    It has nothing to do with birth place.

You might be of Spanish origin, and therefor think of yourself as European

but the true test is not what you or your fellow Hispanic people think of you, especially those with indian blood,

but what does the WASP, White Anglo Saxon Protestant, the landed gentry of New England think of you:

and they will think of you as Hispanic even if you are third generation from Spain with a strong crisp Castillian accent.

A person might cast disparities at their more native-blooded Hispanic neighbors; their darker skinned brothers, as much as possible, but they will still be lumped together with them from the perspective of the WASPs who really define the state of things here in the US.

Hell, even in some ways us Irish/French Catholics are considered Hispanic by these Old Money families on the New England estates . . . . . Even if we come from very Old old world familes . . .

[ 11-29-2002: Message edited by: pfflam ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Ok people, please I hope my post can help. Search the terms Hispanic or Latino ok? Race is one thing and ethnicity is the other. I'm from South America, and I live in the US. My eyes are blue, light skin and I have light brown hair. What am I? Race: white, ethnicity: hispanic or latino. Hispanic means to come from a spanish speaking family. Latino means to speak a language rooted from Latin origin. But it has been incorrectly generalized to latin americans. macfenian just like you(being probably white american) there is a lot of people in south america that descended from Europeans! The US and Canada are not the only countries with white or caucasian descendance in America(North and South America.) The race of the brown people that you think all hispanics are is native or indian american. And just to let you know in Latin America there is a lot mixtures between europeans and native americans, what would their race be? mixed. There is a lot more I can talk about but I really dont have the time.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    please read my quote, and yeah one more thing, travel to south america!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    A Spanish-speaking person living in the U.S., especially one of Latin American decent. Did you want the dictionary definition?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A Spanish-speaking person living in the U.S., especially one of Latin American decent...

Rubbish.