MBA + iPad + mac mini

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
i've been playing around with lion recently. first iOS started behaving more like OSx. now OSx is behaving like iOS (scrolling, launchpad, gestures). you can't visit www.appleinsider.com without seeing a few ipad cases with bluetooth keyboards and trackpads.

doesn't it make sense that apple will release a touch screen integrated laptop? or will they integrate the ipad to function wirelessly with the mac mini first, as an external display?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pkemp85 View Post

i've been playing around with lion recently. first iOS started behaving more like OSx. now OSx is behaving like iOS (scrolling, launchpad, gestures). you can't visit www.appleinsider.com without seeing a few ipad cases with bluetooth keyboards and trackpads.

doesn't it make sense that apple will release a touch screen integrated laptop? or will they integrate the ipad to function wirelessly with the mac mini first, as an external display?

As to iPad cases with Blutooth keyboard at www.apple insider.com I've never seen any there. So really don't know what you are talking about.

As to a Touch integrated laptop I really hope not. While a touch screen might be advantages for a few tasks the reality is it would suck for general purpose usage. Keyboards are a wonderful thing once you try to use vertical touch screens for any length of time. At best this might be useful on a Mac that canmlay out the screen like a tablet but even that has usability issues.

So where did these ideas come from?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pkemp85 View Post

I don't think those ideas are likely. A laptop with a touchscreen... your hands just don't go there when you have a nice keyboard and trackpad in front of you.

Towards your second idea though... I could see it working, but what will be the advantages? If you have an iPad that runs independently, what will you gain by offloading the processing power to an external box? There aren't any apps that need this right now, and there are other apps that let you manage your desktop via VNC.

Rather...

You made me wonder whether we'll see an iPad become an input device for something like the Mini. Ditch the keyboard and mouse because you've got an iPad. Your mini is hooked up to your 46" LCD anyway.

We're already seeing plenty of apps that do this, but how will Apple do this?