finally done with the LSAT...or I paid $100 to take a 3.5 hour test

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After moderate preparation and certainly intense anticipation, I finally took the LSAT today. Unfortuantely I live in the boonies, so I had to drive 1.75 hours just to take the thing, meaning I was up ridiculously early.

$100 down the tubes and I don't even think I did that well. Sucks I won't have a chance to take it again and get my scores back in time for fall admission.

Anyone else out there taken this gem of a test? I thought it might be something like the ACT, but it seems a lot harder...I guess they figure those interested in law school are up for the challenge.

I really need a nap.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    haha, yeah my dad took that this morning and said he didnt do too well. i've heard it compared as an easier version of the GRE, which i took last summer. personally i found the GRE to be kindergarten-level easy, so i dont know what to think about the LSAT--there have to be some differences...

but i still enjoy giving my dad shit about it.

[ 12-07-2002: Message edited by: _ alliance _ ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    [quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:

<strong>haha, yeah my dad took that this morning and said he didnt do too well. i've heard to compared as an easier version of the GRE, which i took last summer. personally i found the GRE kindergarten-level easy, so i dont know what to think about the LSAT--there have to be some differences...

but i still enjoy giving my dad shit about it. </strong><hr></blockquote>

hehe. i took the GRE too (my plans change a lot) and found the LSAT to be at least as difficult, maybe more. The LSAT requires more critical thinking IMO. Standardized tests. Blah. I've heard that people usually think they blow it right after they take it but then get their results back and they aren't so bad.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by progmac:

<strong>

hehe. i took the GRE too (my plans change a lot) and found the LSAT to be at least as difficult, maybe more. The LSAT requires more critical thinking IMO. Standardized tests. Blah. I've heard that people usually think they blow it right after they take it but then get their results back and they aren't so bad.</strong><hr></blockquote>

one of the major differences is that the GRE is computerized. during each section there is no way to skip a question and then come back later. what pissed me off even more is that it works such that if u miss a question early on, the later questions aren't worth as much and you have to work yer way back up to a decent point value by getting all the rest right. also, the later questions will be easier if you miss more questions earlier on, although they are worth less. so...if you miss an early one, yer screwed. this pissed me off in the verbal section, cause my vocab aint too hot. oh well...

at least i had the math and logic sections to push me up (and Vet school only cares about those two anyway).

in the end, sitting in front a computer screen for 4 hours straight is a bit too much for any human being IMHO...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    What do you consider "moderate" preparation? I plan to take it two years or so from now.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce:

<strong>What do you consider "moderate" preparation? I plan to take it two years or so from now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

pretty much all thats required are taking practice tests. just to get the feel of how it all works and you won't be too surprised...

i could never recommend taking a prep course for this though. waste of money for anything other than the mcat.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Yes. How much of doing that do you consider "moderate" preparation? I've heard stories about people taking practice LSAT's over 20 times.
  • Reply 7 of 9

<strong>Yes. How much of doing that do you consider "moderate" preparation? I've heard stories about people taking practice LSAT's over 20 times.</strong><hr></blockquote>

that's pretty excessive...

i'd say moderate is around 2 or 3 times...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    A lot of students at my college score in the 150's with that kind of preparation. They also might not be the brightest either but that's still 80+ percentile. It seems that most of the "good" law schools are in the 160 range while the elites of course are 170+.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member

<strong>A lot of students at my college score in the 150's with that kind of preparation. They also might not be the brightest either but that's still 80+ percentile. It seems that most of the "good" law schools are in the 160 range while the elites of course are 170+.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I took about 3 practice tests and I got a $15 Kaplan (brand) book from a bookstore here. Basically it was good to just get familiar with different sections. There really is only so much you can do. I'd say start working through your first practice tests a month or two before the LSAT, and after you go through one, look at a book about preparing for the LSAT for information on how to attack a particular section you may be struggling with