Can I sync iCal & Address book with Google Services?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just had to get a Motorola Xoom Android Device for my work and I'm used to using my iPad through MobileMe so with my iPad everything is nicely synced with my desktop apps on my Mac.

The problem is Google's device doesn't work that way. I can set my me.com email up on the Xoom's email program but the issue is the Xoom has a widget for the Google Address Book and Google Calendar.

I don't use the above Google App's but is there a way to sync them with the Apple apps, Google Address Book-Mac OS X Address Book and Google Calendar-iCal?

What I mean is for example if I pull up Google Calendar on my Xoom I'd like to be able to see all the calendar items that's on my iPad but I'd like to be able to add/delete an item and then see the same on my Xoom and I'd like to be able to add/delete an item on my Xoom and see the same on my iPad.

I'd like to be able to do the above also for Google Address Book. Is there any way to do something like this?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    treasytreasy Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I just had to get a Motorola Xoom Android Device for my work and I'm used to using my iPad through MobileMe so with my iPad everything is nicely synced with my desktop apps on my Mac.

The problem is Google's device doesn't work that way. I can set my me.com email up on the Xoom's email program but the issue is the Xoom has a widget for the Google Address Book and Google Calendar.

I don't use the above Google App's but is there a way to sync them with the Apple apps, Google Address Book-Mac OS X Address Book and Google Calendar-iCal?

What I mean is for example if I pull up Google Calendar on my Xoom I'd like to be able to see all the calendar items that's on my iPad but I'd like to be able to add/delete an item and then see the same on my Xoom and I'd like to be able to add/delete an item on my Xoom and see the same on my iPad.

I'd like to be able to do the above also for Google Address Book. Is there any way to do something like this?

Thank you for your help.

you'll have to use google contacts/calendar as the database and completely ignore the local address book calendar.

If the iPad is anything like the iPhone, just follow the guide on this page, worked like a charm for me.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile...&answer=138740

also note: after doing the above, to set up multiple calendars you will need to follow this advice --

Choosing which calendars to sync

Google Sync can sync up to 25 Google Calendars with the Calendar app on your iOS device (your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch).

To select which calendars to sync to your Apple device, follow these steps:

Open the Safari browser on your device and go to http://m.google.com/sync

Sign in with your account and select your device from the list of devices you've set up for Google Sync.

Bookmark this page so you can return to it easily.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    markw10markw10 Posts: 356member
    Thank you. That gives me the exact information I need.

Before I do this though, will this allow me to also display my Mac's iCal from MobileMe. I have a large calendar on my Mac and sync this through MobileMe with the iPad. I'd like to be able to also sync Google Calendar but I want them to either show up as two separate calendars if possible. What I'm saying is I don't want this to replace my iCal so that I only see Google Calendar instead.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    treasytreasy Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

Thank you. That gives me the exact information I need.

Before I do this though, will this allow me to also display my Mac's iCal from MobileMe. I have a large calendar on my Mac and sync this through MobileMe with the iPad. I'd like to be able to also sync Google Calendar but I want them to either show up as two separate calendars if possible. What I'm saying is I don't want this to replace my iCal so that I only see Google Calendar instead.

That's fine, but your iCal-specific events that you sync through mobile-me will (most likely) not sync with your Android phone
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I'm going to set it up later today for Syncing. I am working on changing all of my calendars over to Google Calendar so that I can view it on all devices, iOS, Mac, and Android but for now I just wanted to make sure that setting up Google Calendar on my iOS devices won't remove the MobileME/Mac/iCal calendars. Thank you again for the advice.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I noticed when looking at the instructions that there are two ways that this can be set up, either through Microsoft Exchange or CalDav. I looked at both options but is there any reason I should do one over the other?

I only have one actual Google Calendar set up and in iCal through MobileMe I also have just one calendar set up. How will these show up on my iOS device? Will they show up as two separate calendars or will it show up as one calendar but simply combine all the events, etc. onto one calendar screen?