VMware vSphere 5 to add cloud virtualization support for Mac OS X Server

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The upcoming release of VMware's vSphere 5 virtualization platform is reported to include guest OS support for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, indicating new options for enterprise use of Apple's server platform without the now discontinued Xserve.

VMware's plans for the next release of vSphere, as discussed in February at the company's Partner Exchnge conference, have been detailed in a posting by Virtualization.info, including mention of support for Mac OS X Server.

The vSphere product allows companies to build a private of public cloud of pooled infrastructure, offering enterprise planners more flexible capacity management than if they were required to allocate dedicated hardware to every server instance.

The product also helps data center managers to automate disaster recovery plans and monitor and manage performance while accurately reporting the costs needed to provide IT services.

By pooling server hardware, VMware says businesses can reduce their requirements of power, cooling and server storage, cutting energy cost by as much as 80 percent.

Formerly named VMware Infrastructure 4, the cloud-enabled vSphere platform is built upon the company's core virtualization hypervisor called ESXi, which runs as a low level microkernel OS on actual server hardware, and facilitates flexible, virtual deployment of guest OS virtual machines on top, moving around virtual images to use available hardware as necessary.

The product currently supports Microsoft Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Oracle Solaris 10, as well as enterprise versions of Linux from RedHat, SUSE and Ubuntu. By adding support for Mac OS X Server, VMware will give its enterprise customers an option for virtualizing the deployment of Apple's server features without having to dedicate rack space to Mac hardware.

While Apple has backed out of the dedicated server hardware market, first by discontinuing the Xserve RAID and then by terminating its Xserve rack mounted server, it continues to develop its Mac OS X Server product, with the next major version adding the formerly premium server features to the standard edition.

Mac OS X Server includes WebDAV-based calendar and contact management, easy to use wiki services for building group collaboration tools, and under Mac OS X Lion Server 10.7, will incorporate expanded support for iOS mobile devices, including WebDAV file sharing for iPhone and iPads, expanded Push Notifications for messaging services, and a new Profile Manager that provides setup and management features for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Mac OS Lion computers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While Apple has backed out of the dedicated server hardware market, first by discontinuing the Xserve RAID and then by terminating its Xserve rack mounted server, it continues to develop its Mac OS X Server product, with the next major version adding the formerly premium server features to the standard edition.

This part I haven't figured out yet. There is apparently two separate versions in beta right now. Lion and Lion Server.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

This part I haven't figured out yet. There is apparently two separate versions in beta right now. Lion and Lion Server.

There isn't, actually, only Lion. Lion Server is now an application suite included with Lion, for free.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

There isn't, actually, only Lion. Lion Server is now an application suite included with Lion, for free.

Because I?m sure it will now be mentioned, the first Preview of Lion had the server installation along with it. If you choose to install Server you did have to be connected to the internet to allow that install to occur. I?m not sure what it verified or DLed.

Preview 2 was a little different. There is still just the one installation for the OS but the server tools are a separate download from Mac App Store. I assume they combine them for the final product.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Any news on the next version of VMWare Fusion?!
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Ok thanks. I saw the other download but I have not messed with server since I don't use that (any more). Good to know. It is interesting about VM supporting it. I wonder how Apple feels about it.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    I need to look through the Lion EULA again but I don't remember seeing any change to the requirement that even OS X Server has to be run on Apple hardware. VMWare has respected this before so maybe this announcement (if there was a real one and not just someone guessing) come with Apple's blessing to run OSXS on ESXi hardware. Of course, I don't want to see OSX running on any Dell hardware but would accept seeing it run on HP or Sun (Oracle) built servers.

I'd really rather see Apple build their own server hardware again and license VSphere on it.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    How would one go about installing Lion on VMWare? Doesn't the installer check specifically for the right hardware? Currently VMWare vSpere 4.1 presents plain-vanilla BIOS, not even EFI...

If Apple was smart (and sometimes they are), they would release an OVF template of Lion server. If Lion doesn't have the hardware check, that would open up the OS to other hardware solutions as well.

It's all very exciting indeed. VMWare owns the virtualization market and this way Apple could continue to creep into enterprise markets...
  • Reply 8 of 33
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    In order to completely replace an Xserve, any virtualization product would need the ability to provide direct access to hardware such as PCI Express cards (SAN connectivity, Audio/Video capture, etc) and GPUs (OpenCL).

Furthermore, VMware should also provide Mac versions of their ESX and VSphere management tools.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Virtualization is where everything is going. I hope they do not fight allowing virtualization on hardware.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Virtualization is where everything is going. I hope they do not fight allowing virtualization on hardware.

Yeah right. They just spent a couple years in court over this and now they are going turn around and let people run it on generic hardware. I don't understand.

Maybe:

MacBook with Mac OS X 10.7 = $1000

OS X 10.7 only no MacBook = $1000

Here we go with the serial numbers and the activation BS.

OS X isn't really any better than CentOS for 99.9% of serving tasks. I'm not sure why anyone would want to run it unless they are just Apple fans who only run Apple hardware. They are rumored to be working on a new rackmountable MacPro. This VMWare rumor sounds suspect.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    object-xobject-x Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Any news on the next version of VMWare Fusion?!

The next version of VMWare Fusion is in beta now. I am testing. Looking good.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Object-X View Post

The next version of VMWare Fusion is in beta now. I am testing. Looking good.

It better be a big improvement in performance. Parallels just trounces it right now. I liked Fusion's options and some features better than Parallels, however since Parallels 6 came out it's performance (especially in the graphics department) was well worth the move from Fusion 3.1. I rarely need to run anything via Windows anymore but I'm still happy to have that option directly in OSX for the things I do occasionally need to run in Windows.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stunkcrunk View Post

VMWare owns the virtualization market and this way Apple could continue to creep into enterprise markets...

I'd agree that VMware owns the enterprise VM market right now. I don't think the same about the consumer market. Also with Virtuozzo & Plesk Panel they are starting to make headway in the enterprise market. A while back a nearly identical article was written about Parallels' Virtuozzo container's adding support for OSX Server which never "virtualized" (pardon the pun, I couldn't resist). I don't see Apple sitting idly by allowing VMware to spoof the TPM and run OSX Server on generic hardware.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Appleinsider View Post

The vSphere product allows companies to build a private of public cloud of pooled infrastructure, offering enterprise planners more flexible capacity management than if they were required to allocate dedicated hardware to every server instance.

Proof reading fail... sadly I've been seeing this more often on AI.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stunkcrunk View Post

It's all very exciting indeed. VMWare owns the virtualization market and this way Apple could continue to creep into enterprise markets...

I doubt it. This offers a good solution to all the people that currently have their networks running off an Xserver praying it doesn't break as they can't buy a new one.

As for gaining new customers it doesn't make any sense. Your going to have to have techies skilled in Linux to look after the server hosting the virtual OS X server as well as techies skilled in OS X server. You might as well just not bother with OS X server and keep your staff costs down.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    irontedironted Posts: 129member
    Whoa I'm so happy! Lion Server is now virtualized, not to mention it's free with unlimited CALs! And the next Mac Pro will be really exciting. It will look like a Nextstation pizzabox with 3U height. Here's the picture!

All Mac shops will now have a path to upgrade. One of them is my favorite CNBC! Happy days are back! Oh yeah Oh yeah!

Defender of the Mac,

IronTed
  • Reply 16 of 33
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 514member
    Wondering how licensing works. I thought you could only install OS X on Apple hardware.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Wondering how licensing works. I thought you could only install OS X on Apple hardware.

That changed with Leopard Server.
    "You may also Install and use other copies of Mac OS X Server Software on the same Apple-labeled computer," the new clause reads, "provided that you acquire an individual and valid license from Apple for each of these other copies of Mac OS X Server Software."
  • Reply 18 of 33
    gdcgdc Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That changed with Leopard Server.
    "You may also Install and use other copies of Mac OS X Server Software on the same Apple-labeled computer," the new clause reads, "provided that you acquire an individual and valid license from Apple for each of these other copies of Mac OS X Server Software."

I thought vSphere didn't run on "Apple-labelled computers"?
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdc View Post

I thought vSphere didn't run on "Apple-labelled computers"?

I misread ddawson100?s post to assume that he didn't think OS X Server couldn?t be virtualized. Mea culpa.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    There is a lot of unwarranted jumping to conclusions here.

First, vSphere 5 will only support Mac OS X Server on Apple-labeled hardware; vSphere 5 (aka ESXi) simply now runs on certain Apple hardware.

Second, since Lion Server is now a "part" of Lion, it is not yet known whether the Lion/Lion Server EULA will allow any form of virtualization at all.

Lastly, with the Xserve now gone, there really isn't any hardware suitable on which to even deploy this solution in an enterprise datacenter environment.

(And yes, I do know a bit about this topic...)