At what point am I voiding my warranty

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm getting a MBP next week. At which time I am putting in an OWC SSD and taking the CD Drive out and replacing with a second hard drive.



Probably a silly question, but am I voiding my warranty when I do this?



Too bad if I am cause I might be tempted on springing for the Apple Care to be safe since I am putting serious money in this machine.



Obviously I wouldn't expect anything to do with the second drive or the SSD to be covered under warranty.



Bryan

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 6
    I KNOW replacing the HDD does NOT void the warranty... the literature that comes with the MBP even explains how to do it.



    The optical drive is questionable... just keep the original to put back in if you need warranty service.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    bobcatoubobcatou Posts: 16member
    Really? My apple guy I talked to must not of been a "genius" then. He was acting wishy washy with me when I was trying to figure out what voids the warranty. He claim I void the warranty on anything that isn't user accessible. I asked him besides memory, what is user accessible? He said, "NOTHING" I rolled my eyes and walked away.



    This is the first...or for that matter the second time I have gotten bad info from Apple retail people. Not feeling the love right now.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post


    I KNOW replacing the HDD does NOT void the warranty... the literature that comes with the MBP even explains how to do it.



    The optical drive is questionable... just keep the original to put back in if you need warranty service.



  • Reply 3 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobcatou View Post


    I'm getting a MBP next week. At which time I am putting in an OWC SSD and taking the CD Drive out and replacing with a second hard drive.



    Probably a silly question, but am I voiding my warranty when I do this?



    Too bad if I am cause I might be tempted on springing for the Apple Care to be safe since I am putting serious money in this machine.



    Obviously I wouldn't expect anything to do with the second drive or the SSD to be covered under warranty.



    Bryan



    My 2 cents... Hard Disk swap doesn't void the warranty (there's generally no way to tell if you put the original hard disk back), CD Drive swap definitely yes.



    Check out this thread. https://discussions.apple.com/messag...ageID=12015428
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobcatou View Post


    Really? My apple guy I talked to must not of been a "genius" then. He was acting wishy washy with me when I was trying to figure out what voids the warranty. He claim I void the warranty on anything that isn't user accessible. I asked him besides memory, what is user accessible? He said, "NOTHING" I rolled my eyes and walked away.



    This is the first...or for that matter the second time I have gotten bad info from Apple retail people. Not feeling the love right now.



    Explicitly, nothing besides the changing the memory is "allowed". The rest should be done by an authorised service centre.



    In reality, hard drive changes are generally "let through", assuming you didn't damage anything and you put the original hard drive back in before sending it for service.



    To be safe, get whatever modifications you want be done through a reputable authorised service centre, that way when you need to claim anything through the one-year or three-year AppleCare you can go through them with confidence.



    Your Apple Genius was trying to protect you in a sense, by sticking to the line that only memory should be changed by the user. Like I said, in practice, various official Apple Stores and Apple authorised service centres may ignore user-replacement of hard drives, but this depends on city, country, circumstance, etc.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    As long as you put everything back the way it was when you made the change before you have the machine serviced, and assuming you didn't break anything in the process, you are clear. Apple won't put the threads of the screws from the optical drive under a microscope if you're having service on the trackpad.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    Explicitly, nothing besides the changing the memory is "allowed"..



    wrong... The HDD is also explicitly allowed.

    Check the Apple.com support section.
Sign In or Register to comment.