Bleepers and four letter words on AI

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Help me understand this.

I believe that one should not need to use expletives while making a point or posting a topic on any discussion forum, online or face to face.

But if you do need to use an expletive, on online forums or in print why is it acceptable to use a 'v' instead of an 'u' or '*' s in the middle of the word?

We all know what you are saying, so why not use the real thing?

Are we worried that there might be minors on the board? They also know what we are talking about. Or do we expect that thay will go to their parents and say "mommy, what does **** mean?" and they won't say "mommy, what is fvck?"

What are your thoughts about this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    It's up to the moderators since freedom of speech is not necessarily a god given right for us here. I have no problems with the words being censored out as long as people are not reprimanded for using them occasionally with the fooling methods like V for U and such. I think only F*CK and C*NT are being stared out now. shit?

edit: as seen above some of the less offensive words are not being blocked. I think we can all use a break from swearing in fact. My wife has commented on it and I hope to soon have children and want to curb the need for cursing. But most here are adults and it is a private club so what's a little cursing among friends?

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: Outsider ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I still say fuck it.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    People are stupid.

No, really. The kind of people that post as you described either are not articulate enough to discuss the given subect in a mature, civil fashion or their arguments and posts are so weak that they have to resort to swearing (or "fake" swearing) to attract attention.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    he's right. if you have to use **** to make yourself clear, you're lost.