Apple issues Thunderbolt fixes for new MacBook Pros, iMacs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple this week released a series of updates for its newest MacBook Pro notebooks and iMac desktops equipped with the high-speed Thunderbolt port, addressing issues related to performance and stability.

Two updates are available for MacBook Pro owners: MacBook Pro Software Update 1.4, a 132.69MB download, and MacBook Pro EFI Update 2.1, a 3.06MB update. Both are available direct from Apple's website or via Software Update.

Update 1.4 is said to include fixes that improve graphics stability, address issues with external display support and 3D performance, and also improve Thunderbolt device support.

Meanwhile, EFI Update 2.1 includes fixes that resolve an issue with Turbo Mode in Boot Camp, and improves performance and stability for graphics and Thunderbolt. A user's power cord must be connected and plugged in to a working power source when applying this update, as it updates the EFI firmware on the MacBook Pro.

Owners of the new iMacs just released this week get Mac OS X 10.6.7 Update for iMac (early 2011) 1.0, a 382.56MB update, and iMac EFI Update 1.6, weighing in at 6.1MB. The Mac OS X update applies a number of fixes for the Snow Leopard operating system, including:

Improve the reliability of Back to My Mac

Resolves an issue when transferring files to certain SMB servers

Addresses various minor Mac App Store bugs

Addresses minor FaceTime performance issues

Addresses issues with graphics stability and 3D performance

Improves external display compatibility

Improves Thunderbolt device support

Finally, the iMac EFI Update 1.6 includes fixes that improve the performance and stability for the new high-speed Thunderbolt port. The update will restart any iMacs it is installed on, at which point a gray screen will appear with a status bar to indicate the progress of the update.

Apple has already quickly released a handful of updates for its new iMac desktops. On Tuesday, when the all-in-one computers first went on sale, a Boot Camp update was also available for download.

Apple updated its iMac line on Tuesday, adding faster Sandy Bridge Intel quad-core processors, a FaceTime HD camera, and the new Thunderbolt port. Thunderbolt debuted in February in Apple's refreshed MacBook Pros.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Installed on MBP.

No difference that I can tell.

Updating EFI is always nerve racking.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    OWC / Macsales found it enables Sata III / 6GBs on the new iMacs for 2 of the interface ports!

http://blog.macsales.com/10050-firmw...-in-2011-imacs
  • Reply 3 of 15
    tasslehawftasslehawf Posts: 75member
    Still does not fix the issue where the Thunderbolt port recognizes the Dell U2410 monitor as a TV over a mDP to DP cable, unfortunately.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    that's yr fault for buying a dell, dude maybe try a mDP to HDMI instead.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    foobarfoobar Posts: 107member
    Has ANYONE tried Thunderbolt, anyway?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    wow.. new Graphics drivers for Macbook Pros... and the headline only reads about Thunderbolt, which is basically useless today since nothing uses it...?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

that's yr fault for buying a dell, dude maybe try a mDP to HDMI instead.

i'm using mDP to HDMI for my HDTV but no luck... this update is useless for me.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foobar View Post

Has ANYONE tried Thunderbolt, anyway?

Yes, from the looks of it, apparently some people in Apple Engineering.

• Reply 9 of 15
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    well at least the port - but with a mini display port to DVI converter for my 23" Cinema Display that is about 5 years old.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    heathgmheathgm Posts: 1member
    External DVI monitor is still not detected. Using Apple Mini DP to DVI adapter.

Was hoping that this update would fix this?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Since the release notes do not address this I assume there still is a problem with Airport Express dropping wireless connections? Has there been a fix for this that I have missed, or do I need to get in touch with Apple Support?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heathgm View Post

External DVI monitor is still not detected. Using Apple Mini DP to DVI adapter.

Was hoping that this update would fix this?

Not sure about the External DVI, but I am using an external Dell monitor at work and am able to connect to it through VGA. I don't think that is what you are looking for though.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I'm disappointed in our usual Mac-bashing trolls. I would have thought that by now, there's be at least 50 posts about Apple's quality control and shipping 'unfinished' products and so on.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    oristeoriste Posts: 10member
    I'm on a Thunderbolt MacBook Pro, via Software Update only seeing the MacBook Pro Software Update 1.4 (size 141MB), not the MacBook Pro EFI Update 2.1. Anyone else encountered this?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oriste View Post

I'm on a Thunderbolt MacBook Pro, via Software Update only seeing the MacBook Pro Software Update 1.4 (size 141MB), not the MacBook Pro EFI Update 2.1. Anyone else encountered this?

Once you've installed the 1.4 update and restarted, the EFI update will show as available.