A ?Mod"est Request

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
I’ve noticed the regular forum moderators don’t frequent the site as oft as they use to and that the increased in AI's popularity has led to a considerable growth in spamming posts.

I recommend a new slew of moderators be added. You could even make it easy by allowing each one of the current mods to each pick a mod they know and trust from years of exchange on this forum.

PS: I am not in any way recommending myself and do not,cunder any circumstances, wish to be a moderator.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    We considered it a while back and it may happen but more mods doesn't necessarily equate to less spam and there are a few active mods/admins who do a lot to remove spam - JeffDM, lundy, Mr.H, Kasper, audiopollution, me and a couple of others. Some may not post a lot but they are active. As you said, this site is quite popular and from one of the info pages gets over 1 million unique views per month. Over the past year or two, spam got pretty crazy so the only real solution was to automate the spam catching and that's been implemented.

It is based on a filter that needs to be refined but some days, it catches as many as 45 unique threads in under 24 hours. To clean that up manually is not pleasant and we've had to do that in the past. The spam that gets through now is a fraction of what is caught and that amount will continue to shrink as the filter is refined over time. There are occasions when spammers make life difficult but they will be added to the filter like the hundreds before them. The automated way is the only way to ensure the filtering is immediate because the human method is subject to timezones and response times: human = minutes/hours, computer = milliseconds.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

It had to happen!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It is based on a filter that needs to be refined...

Might want to add "acid reflux" to it.

Quote:

...The automated way is the only way to ensure the filtering is immediate...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by up for five hours

Good info and right to the point. I don't know if this is truly the best place to ask but do you people have any ideea where to employ some professional writers? Thank you Acid Reflux Natural Remedies

In all seriousness, I'm glad for the automation now. All we have to do is add a bunch more phrases to the list and it'll take care of the problem very well.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Might want to add "acid reflux" to it.

Looks like it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In all seriousness, I'm glad for the automation now. All we have to do is add a bunch more phrases to the list and it'll take care of the problem very well.

I wish I could put a figure on 'a bunch'. I thought I was done around 400. There's over 1,000 filters now. But I'm sure it's nearly there.