New iMac's - graphics switching?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just noticed that Apple makes no mention of the HD3000/2000 (the lower end ones use the 2000) integrated graphics in the new iMac's on their specs page. I wonder if since this is a desktop and they don't have to worry about battery, they didn't bother with graphics switching technology? Or since the 2000 is half as powerful as the already weak 3000, it might not have suited them even for base tasks on that large screen? Or alternatively, they do use it, but thought it wasn't important to market?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Wouldn't be surprised if Apple disabled the integrated GPU.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Err, yes there, is, all SB CPU's either have the integrated 2000 or 3000

EDIT: Quick edit there, lol.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Err, yes there, is, all SB CPU's either have the integrated 2000 or 3000

EDIT: Quick edit there, lol.

This is NOT clear...do all new iMacs have it or not? I don't see this advertised anywhere on Apple's site...I am pretty sure they only use the discrete GPU.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

This is NOT clear...do all new iMacs have it or not? I don't see this advertised anywhere on Apple's site...I am pretty sure they only use the discrete GPU.

That's what I'm asking. Apple didn't make it clear. The chips are on-die for sure, you can't get Sandy Bridge without them, but Apple can choose not to use them and only enable the Radeons. I was replying to something the other guy said (he said none of the iMac's have Intel cards in them so how would they be enabled), hence the quick edit comment. I wasn't saying they were enabled.