My MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo gets slower - why?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi!

I bought a MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz in February 2009. It has served me fine, but in the recent months it has become increasingly slower. I see the rolling ball quiet often, which I didn't do two or just one year ago. Also sometimes the computer just slows down or get stuck in some operation without the rolling ball.

Have you any idea what is happening?

I am a power user. I use the computer every day of the year, mainly for work, but also in my spare time. I use iWork, Safari, Microsoft Office and Adobe Lightroom 3 for picture post processing. I guess Lightroom is the most demanding of those programmes.

I have done some maintenance, for example with OnyX. I also repair permissions regularly.

Have you any hints of what might be wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post

Hi!

I bought a MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz in February 2009. It has served me fine, but in the recent months it has become increasingly slower. I see the rolling ball quiet often, which I didn't do two or just one year ago. Also sometimes the computer just slows down or get stuck in some operation without the rolling ball.

Have you any idea what is happening?

I am a power user. I use the computer every day of the year, mainly for work, but also in my spare time. I use iWork, Safari, Microsoft Office and Adobe Lightroom 3 for picture post processing. I guess Lightroom is the most demanding of those programmes.

I have done some maintenance, for example with OnyX. I also repair permissions regularly.

Have you any hints of what might be wrong?

It could simply be that you're now using 'heavier' software than before, relatively slowing down your MBP. Or it could be something else. Like if you're HD crashed, and you had it replaced, but it was replaced with a 5400 RPM harddisk instead of with a 7200 RPM one like was in there before. That happened to me. And it, obviously, slowed down my MBP.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sorensensorensen Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

It could simply be that you're now using 'heavier' software than before, relatively slowing down your MBP. Or it could be something else. Like if you're HD crashed, and you had it replaced, but it was replaced with a 5400 RPM harddisk instead of with a 7200 RPM one like was in there before. That happened to me. And it, obviously, slowed down my MBP.

I suppose that Lightroom is rather heavy, when processing pictures. But the slow down occurs not only when Lightroom is used, but also when just using iWork, Safari and Mail.

Actually I think I have experienced similar things with former Mac-computers. Can there be some kind of cluttering of the whole system?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post

Can there be some kind of cluttering of the whole system?

Not since OSX. It sorts itself.

But some applications have memory leaks, which leak more and more as long as the app keeps running (e.g. in the background). This will eventually cause severe slowdowns and spinning beachballs. I had that with an older version of Photoshop (8.0). If I left it running in the background – idle – it would get like molasses, after, say, a half hour or longer. Safari used to have memory leaks too. But not anymore, afaik.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sorensensorensen Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

I have not been replacing the hard disk and I have no suspicion about the HD having problems. But I do notice, that when I use Safari heavily, it does take many resources from the RAM and CPU.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    When you got that MBP it ran on Tiger. Today it probably runs on Snow Leopard. The latter – two major iterations newer – is a lot heavier for your MBP's CPU/GPU to churn around than the former. Snow Leopard needs, and takes, more horsepower from the CPU/GPU 'engine'. The hardware specs haven't changed, while the (system) software has. So now the CPU/GPU has to work harder under Snow Leopard than it had to under Tiger. And that's probably part of what you notice.