Marking a .jpg

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I need to mark some .jpg's directly on the pictures with a letter or number. Is that possible? How would I go about doing it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    You need a watermarking application.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    pomeroypomeroy Posts: 4member
    There is no need to buy or download any extra software. This can be done easy with Preview that came on your Mac. If you have more than one JPG you need to work on just select the ones you want to work on in Finder or drag the whole folder to the dock and drop on Preview. Preview doesn't need to be open and running, just keep it on the dock, it does a lot more that just open a single image for you to look at if you learn to use it right by dragging images and whole folders into it. Once you have your image or images open in Preview click on the "Annotate" button in the toolbar and some buttons will then show at the bottom of Preview, select the Text button and drag a box on the image where you want to add text and type what ever you want there. If the text is too large or small or the wrong color select the "Aa" button and change it to what ever font you want. If the Annotate button is not on Previews toolbar you can add it by going to Previews "View" menu and selecting "Customize Toolbar" and add it. You can also find Annotate under Previews "Tools" menu. After you add the text you want on the image be sure to Save or Save As before going to the next image. If you use Save it will save the changes to the original image, if you use Save As you can give it a new name and have a new copy with the changes and the original keep unchanged.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pomeroy View Post

There is no need to buy or download any extra software. This can be done easy with Preview that came on your Mac. If you have more than one JPG you need to work on just select the ones you want to work on in Finder or drag the whole folder to the dock and drop on Preview. Preview doesn't need to be open and running, just keep it on the dock, it does a lot more that just open a single image for you to look at if you learn to use it right by dragging images and whole folders into it. Once you have your image or images open in Preview click on the "Annotate" button in the toolbar and some buttons will then show at the bottom of Preview, select the Text button and drag a box on the image where you want to add text and type what ever you want there. If the text is too large or small or the wrong color select the "Aa" button and change it to what ever font you want. If the Annotate button is not on Previews toolbar you can add it by going to Previews "View" menu and selecting "Customize Toolbar" and add it. You can also find Annotate under Previews "Tools" menu. After you add the text you want on the image be sure to Save or Save As before going to the next image. If you use Save it will save the changes to the original image, if you use Save As you can give it a new name and have a new copy with the changes and the original keep unchanged.

Thanx. I had tried to do that using annotate and the bottom toolbar. It wasn't working; however, When I went to Previews "Tools" menu as you suggested, it works fine.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    pomeroypomeroy Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Thanx. I had tried to do that using annotate and the bottom toolbar. It wasn't working; however, When I went to Previews "Tools" menu as you suggested, it works fine.

Glad it worked out for you, so many people over look all the good things Preview can do when you open up multiple file at one time in it.

I try to use the features that came on my Mac when possible. I believe they were designed to work well together and I don't need to run a lot of 3rd party software to try and force my Mac to act like Windows machine.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pomeroy View Post

I try to use the features that came on my Mac when possible. I believe they were designed to work well together and I don't need to run a lot of 3rd party software to try and force my Mac to act like Windows machine.

How do you find that stuff or even know what's available? Do you use a manual for Snow Leopard or....?