SDD cost for macbook pros

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I recently noticed that in Australia (and I assume everywhere else) that upgrading from a 128 to 256 SSD costs much more on the macbook pros than on the macbook air. It currently costs $350 to change from 128 to 256GB on a Macbook air, but it costs $500 to go from a 128 to 256 SSD on a macbook pro. why does it cost so much more on a macbook pro? and also do you think this will change in the nearish future?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by david_willems13 View Post

why does it cost so much more on a macbook pro? and also do you think this will change in the nearish future?

The Macbook Pro ships with 3rd-party 2.5" SSD drives whereas the MBP has custom Apple SSD chips that use Toshiba NAND memory. I don't know if it will change in future but it should have already changed. There's plenty space in a MBP for a blade SSD and it allows people to configure e.g a 256GB SSD boot drive + a large HDD without having to remove the optical themselves.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

There's plenty space in a MBP for a blade SSD and it allows people to configure e.g a 256GB SSD boot drive + a large HDD without having to remove the optical themselves.

That would be so awesome, I hope they do that next upgrade. its rather poor that the SDD's are cheeper on the incredibly thin macbook air than on the much thicker macbook pro