Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.6.8 to developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has released a new build of Snow Leopard to developers, the first since 10.6.7 in March, and potentially the last before the delivery of Mac OS X Lion this summer.

The new build, identified as 10K521 by MacRumors, reportedly comes without any detail of changes.

Apple previously released 10.6.7 to the public nearly two months ago.

That update was delivered in two flavors, one specifically for Thunderbolt-equipped MacBook Pros identified as build 10J3250, and a general release for other models 10J869.

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is anticipated to be released at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference during the first week of June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    We need more graphic drivers!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    "Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is anticipated to be released at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference during the first week of June.[/QUOTE]

Not released but anticipated?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    imoanimoan Posts: 56member
    Okay. It should be safe to upgrade to snow leopard now.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    res1233res1233 Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

"Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is anticipated to be released at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference during the first week of June.

I hope not. They just announced a new developer preview of Lion with a few added features. It's never safe to release a product so close to the addition of new features, no matter how small. I expect some sort of announcement regarding Lion though. Personally, I'd rather have Lion postponed till september to be sure it's mostly bug-free. The reality is that no matter when they release Lion, it will have bugs till it's tested on the large scale by the rest of us, but like I said, I don't like the idea of it being released so soon.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    . . .
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Yes, it’s apparently predicted that Apple will release Lion during WWDC. I’m not so sure about that —though I do think early Summer is more likely than late Summer —but it is developing nicely. Since it’s also anticipated to be sold and released via Mac App Store there is no need to go GM 6 weeks before the shipping date, although I do think a DVD version could be sold for an increased charge.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

Okay. It should be safe to upgrade to snow leopard now.

Seriously unless you had a very good specific reason to hold off SL was a great update. Much was fixed, it literally made my MBP A much more reliable machine.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously unless you had a very good specific reason to hold off SL was a great update. Much was fixed, it literally made my MBP A much more reliable machine.

I had the same experience with my macbook, and my recently deceased iMac. 4 Years old, and put up with a ton of mischief by yours truly. Gaming actually doesn't suck so bad under SL due to all the performance improvements made over Leopard. OpenGL I believe is the main reason behind OS X's lagging behind windows in GPU performance. Even under windows OpenGL doesn't have the performance of DirectX. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that OpenGL drivers are much harder to develop than DirectX drivers due to much of the OpenGL implementation residing in the driver itself. I could be way off base though.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Leopard went all the way to dot-8 also.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Ι didn't notice any improvement of sl against leopard. I would even say that in my systems it made them slower an clunkier, but that's just my uninformed opinion.

We are nearing release here and still no word for RI... disappointing...
  • Reply 11 of 15
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Ι didn't notice any improvement of sl against leopard. I would even say that in my systems it made them slower an clunkier, but that's just my uninformed opinion.

We are nearing release here and still no word for RI... disappointing...

I've been very impressed with Snow Leopard, to be honest. Much snappier, quite stable, good power management, and they finally FTFF among a lot of other gripes.

As for Lion... I just don't know what's going on there. Nothing I see that actually significantly improves a new or existing Mac user's experience and/or productivity. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple and own a etc. etc. (yes I am turning into one of those people) but Snow Leopard right now is the pinnacle of the Mac and the best operating system that ever made it into popular use. That Lion will probably be Mac OS X's swan song seems a tad sad, honestly.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I've been very impressed with Snow Leopard, to be honest. Much snappier, quite stable, good power management, and they finally FTFF among a lot of other gripes.

As for Lion... I just don't know what's going on there. Nothing I see that actually significantly improves a new or existing Mac user's experience and/or productivity. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple and own a etc. etc. (yes I am turning into one of those people) but Snow Leopard right now is the pinnacle of the Mac and the best operating system that ever made it into popular use. That Lion will probably be Mac OS X's swan song seems a tad sad, honestly.

For the most part I'd agree, however there are some features that are better in Lion such as the new Firevault. It'll be disk-level encryption which should give you much more flexibility. I assume they're adding the feature to HFS+. Plus, anyone with multiple macs could probably find a use for the integrated server. Full screen apps, as steve mentioned, can be really great at times, like when you're viewing web pages, so that's a decent feature too. Overall though, nothing we can't do without. I hope it's priced reasonably.

Almost forgot. The biggest feature in my opinion is Resume. No longer will we have to close all our apps to restart our mac. I like that. Windows gets left in the dust with that one feature alone.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I love the way Mission Control handles Spaces. I?ve tried Spaces in the past but hated the way it worked. This method looks less ?cool? than before but it?s much more natural and usable for my needs. My only gripe is the inabilty to name the desktops.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by res1233 View Post

For the most part I'd agree, however there are some features that are better in Lion such as the new Firevault. It'll be disk-level encryption which should give you much more flexibility. I assume they're adding the feature to HFS+. Plus, anyone with multiple macs could probably find a use for the integrated server. Full screen apps, as steve mentioned, can be really great at times, like when you're viewing web pages, so that's a decent feature too. Overall though, nothing we can't do without. I hope it's priced reasonably.

I still haven?t gotten used to full screen apps but the amount of real estate is saves does make me want to get used to it.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

We need more graphic drivers!

I've been screaming for graphic drivers and printer drivers (hello no printers working over firewire).

Then I realized that Apple with all their Billions in profits and epic unlimited resources - just don't have even an inkling of how to make the most basic and simplistic of every day functions work.

Hurray for being #1 in tech, money wise, but batting a big fat zero on functionality.

Maybe Lion will bring us up to 2009 standards. *fingers crossed*
  • Reply 15 of 15
    zorinlynxzorinlynx Posts: 170member
    I might wait a little while before going to Lion, like I did before going to Snow Leopard. I think I finally upgraded to Snow Leopard when 10.6.2 came out.

Does anyone know if 10.6.8 is going to unify the OS X tree again? I'd love to have one image that works on all our Macs again. 10.6.7 is still forked; I can't boot Thunderbolt-equipped iMacs with our standard 10.6.7 image at work. This is quite annoying.