Can't Backup iPhone, please help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I am on a jailbroken iPhone 4 with iOS version 4.3.1 and on Windows with iTunes 10.2.2.14. Every time I plug my iPhone into the computer, it immediately begins to sync and never backs up. I did some searching online and was told to delete my previous back up (which was over a month old) and then try to re-sync, but still no back up. When I right click my device, there is no back up option. Am I missing something or has anyone run into this yet? Any help is appreciated as I'd like to go ahead and update, but now have no back up at all of any of my contacts, SMS, etc. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nickel586 View Post

Hi,

I am on a jailbroken iPhone 4 with iOS version 4.3.1 and on Windows with iTunes 10.2.2.14. Every time I plug my iPhone into the computer, it immediately begins to sync and never backs up. I did some searching online and was told to delete my previous back up (which was over a month old) and then try to re-sync, but still no back up. When I right click my device, there is no back up option. Am I missing something or has anyone run into this yet? Any help is appreciated as I'd like to go ahead and update, but now have no back up at all of any of my contacts, SMS, etc. Thanks in advance!

I haven't got a solution for your iPhone not backing up because I have an Android phone, but without a backup you are running great risks. Why don't you connect your iPhone to your PC with a USB cable and at least manually copy the contents of your iPhone to your PC to be at least somewhat prepared in case of emergency?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    One step ahead of ya. I've already copied over data like photos and contacts, but would like to back up things like SMS as well. Thanks anyway for the reply.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nickel586 View Post

One step ahead of ya. I've already copied over data like photos and contacts

Excellent.

Quote:

but would like to back up things like SMS as well.

Can you maybe explain something to me? I've always wondered why people like to backup their SMSs and chats. To me they are the digital equivalents of post-it notes in strategic places (as reminders), phone calls, and smalltalk with friends, acquaintances, colleagues, barmen and greengrocers. And I never felt the need or urge to keep records of any of those in the past half century. So why would I of SMSs?