2011 iMac - which HD did you get?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I bought the up-spec 21.5" model and it had a WD Caviar Black 1TB drive - a good drive by all measure and reputation. After a week I decided to return it and swap for a 27" model. My 27-incher has a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, a drive that's been around since 2009 and has a very spotty reliability reputation. It does however seem to be dead-quiet, whereas back in '09 I've found iMac owners complaining about the same drive being noisy.

I'm just curious what others are finding their new iMacs contain?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    pavtanpavtan Posts: 1member
    Hi

I got the 21.5" with 1TB WD1001FALS-403AA0 drive. It is a noisy drive and causes the aluminium case to hum. Disk accesses are ok - it's just the continual hum from the drive itself. I have managed to dampen it down using some pieces of silicone rubber but it still drives me crazy.

I may return it to the Apple store to get it checked out or replaced as the humming is very distracting. My old imac 2008 is so quiet in comparison.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    iharryiharry Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big KC View Post

I bought the up-spec 21.5" model and it had a WD Caviar Black 1TB drive - a good drive by all measure and reputation. After a week I decided to return it and swap for a 27" model. My 27-incher has a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, a drive that's been around since 2009 and has a very spotty reliability reputation. It does however seem to be dead-quiet, whereas back in '09 I've found iMac owners complaining about the same drive being noisy.

I'm just curious what others are finding their new iMacs contain?

I am waiting for my 27" iMac with 2T HD + SSD. I got the tracking info and it is in transit from China. I expect to have it Monday or Tuesday.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    Well, my Seagate drive was subject to the recall, so in to the local Apple store it went, and when I got it back, I now have the WD Caviar Black. No humming/vibrating issues (so far). MUCH happier to have this rather than the Seagate. Sheesh, I wasn't happy when finding a Seagate drive in the first place, then it gets recalled within 3 months? Rat bastards!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iharry View Post

i am waiting for my 27" imac with 2t hd + ssd. I got the tracking info and it is in transit from china. I expect to have it monday or tuesday.

i am considering getting imac with ssd. How is yours? Are you running lion? Do applications open instantly? Interested in feed back before i buy. Thx