Are larger hard drives more susceptible to failure?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Looking at new iMac purchase, wondering if the larger hard drives are more susceptible to failure? Anyone know independent data on this question?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    No, just more infuriating if it happens.

If the 160MB drive in my LC575 ever dies (hint: after nearly 20 years, it hasn't), I wouldn't be upset.

If one of my tertiary 2TB drives in my Mac Pro dies (the one for which I don't have a backup) I'd be a little more irked.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,351moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macdoc10 View Post

Looking at new iMac purchase, wondering if the larger hard drives are more susceptible to failure? Anyone know independent data on this question?

There was a posting online of a retailer return rates for drives:

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/810-...omposants.html

http://forums.storagereview.com/inde...o-hard-drives/

It showed that 2TB drives had a higher failure rate, some nearly 10%. It may not be accurate or possible to draw anything conclusive from it if it is but some of the other data is backed up elsewhere such as OCZ SSDs being the least reliable and Intel's the most.

I'd personally never get a boot drive at 2TB. I think it's much better to keep the system drive smaller and use the 2TB drive for larger contiguous files.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil

If one of my tertiary 2TB drives in my Mac Pro dies (the one for which I don't have a backup)

I wouldn't do that. Always keep multiple copies. Hard drives are inexpensive. Even just get one of the cheap hard drive docks that you slot a raw drive into, clone it every so often and stick it in a cupboard somewhere. The money you spend on a 2TB drive is nothing compared to losing that much data. I know it seems safe enough when others drives last so long but it just takes one bad reboot or accidental erase and it means a painful recovery process or it's gone.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    macdoc10macdoc10 Posts: 2member
    Thanks for the articles, and the link to the translation from French. Interesting information.