iPhone 5 in the wild or what the heck was it?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Yup tell me i'm crazy or tell me what it was but this weekend my wife and I saw what we believe to be a new iPhone and it definitely WAS NOT an iPhone 4.

So my wife and I took our two toddlers to see Thomas the Train Live this weekend and sitting in front of my wife and three seats to my right was a lady with a phone that immediately got my attention. I glanced at it the first picture she took and said to my self wow nice picture on what I thought was an HTC EVO (?) but then as she kept taking pictures I tried to identify the phone type and she was so quick about it I had difficulty in seeing the screen. It was dark so there was no way to see the phone itself. I kept looking and on several occasions got a clear sight of the screen and it was an iPhone camera app, all the buttons, screen layout etc including the HDR button in the middle of the top of the screen. Now what was odd was there were two gray out bars one on top and one on bottom kind of like a letterbox movie and that got my attention to look even harder. Each time she took a photo I could see the shutter image close on the screen but this screen was defiantly larger than an iPhone 4 which my wife an I have. I thought I was crazy but kept looking every time she raised it up. She would raise it up, tap the screen, zoom in and click just like my phone does but the picture was crystal clear. I was convinced I was looking at an iPhone but thought no way would a new iPhone be in Texas. nope.

So tonight I was reading the article about the iPhone case for the supposed new phone and saw the picture of the iPhone that came out earlier this year but was said to be fake... well? thats what I believe i saw. I went down stairs and said to my wife that I thought I saw a new iPhone at the theater and she said .. without prompting. Yup, i saw it too and was mad because I could not get my phone to take pictures like that one and I know it was an iPhone.... So... we went back through her phone and didn't find a picture but we did find a video clip of the lady using the phone. (No, i didnt take a photo with a 3 year old on my lap, i Know, I know.)

Here it is, tell me what kind of phone this is so I stop thinking i'm crazy.

7 second in shows the shutter close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRj7W...e_gdata_player

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I'm confused how this is at all different from the standard camera application?

It was dark. You didn't see an iPhone 5. No one with one is stupid enough to be using it like this in this situation, particularly after the iPhone 4 debacle.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,441moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onefast1 View Post

I was convinced I was looking at an iPhone but thought no way would a new iPhone be in Texas. nope.

That's the perfect cover. Everyone's looking for it in Cupertino.

Quote:

No, i didnt take a photo with a 3 year old on my lap

Throw the kid on the ground, it'll get back up again. They're always falling over on their own anyway, happens all the time but we only get one shot to know what the next iPhone looks like before it comes out.

Quote:

Here it is, tell me what kind of phone this is so I stop thinking i'm crazy.

At first, I thought it looked like an iPad being held a few rows down but that made it clear that it was a big screen device and the photo app doesn't behave like it does on Android. It's possible some other app has replicated it but this could well be the iPhone 5 or 4S.

I also think it would be a bit irresponsible to wave it around in public though after the last one but we might have already seen it if the leaks from the manufacturers are to be believed. If it is in fact a new iPhone, it would suggest it's ready for announcing at WWDC in 3 weeks time.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ok well guess this makes a little more sense now... why Dallas? I still contend that it was an iPhone, look at the proportions of the screen is all I was trying to point out with the video clip. I guess I'll just have to wait and see, I did note a new type of cell site setup in a field nearby..

from AT&T

The next network evolution will arrive this summer with the addition of LTE in five markets - Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Atlanta and San Antonio. We plan to add another 10 or more markets in the second half of the year, and cover 70 million Americans with LTE by year-end.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,441moderator
    Quote:

from AT&T

The next network evolution will arrive this summer with the addition of LTE in five markets - Dallas, Houston, Chicago, Atlanta and San Antonio. We plan to add another 10 or more markets in the second half of the year, and cover 70 million Americans with LTE by year-end.

LTE will make a huge difference to the services offered on mobiles if they get enough coverage. It means you could do things like take a rapid successions of high resolution images and upload them to an online photo sharing service and instantly share them with a friend.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

...iPhone... ...AT&T... ...LTE...

Ooh, dreeeeeeam weaver, you believe whatever stuff you waaaaaaant...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    onefast1onefast1 Posts: 4member
    Maybe related, Maybe not.

• Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Maybe related, Maybe not.

iWaterTower?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    josiahljosiahl Posts: 6member
    Wow are you serious! There is no way of telling what phone it is and for someone to be freaking out about a phone is a little over the top! Did you happen to get a glimpse of her eyes and make sure they were not glowing?