iSight iMac G5 17" - Flickering image

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey there!

My granpa got an iSight iMac G5 that has started to flicker and showing a strange image.

Now iv'e been reading about these bad capacitors that were inside apple g5 in 2004-2005. Since I consider myself having good experience in taking computers apart I started to deassemble the G5.

To my suprise the capacitors on the logicboard are not swollen and they look in good shape, I also looked att the PSU and the capacitors looks good.

So my thoughts goes to the GFX card, and since it's not replaceable I need a new logicboard which is very expensive.

My question, eventhough the capacitors are not swollen or leaked is there a possibility that they could be causing this error due to bad quality?

My plan is to solder new capacitors on there but if someone already know at this stage that it won't help it would save me some time.

BR

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by senz007 View Post

Hey there!

My granpa got an iSight iMac G5 that has started to flicker and showing a strange image.

Now iv'e been reading about these bad capacitors that were inside apple g5 in 2004-2005. Since I consider myself having good experience in taking computers apart I started to deassemble the G5.

To my suprise the capacitors on the logicboard are not swollen and they look in good shape, I also looked att the PSU and the capacitors looks good.

So my thoughts goes to the GFX card, and since it's not replaceable I need a new logicboard which is very expensive.

My question, eventhough the capacitors are not swollen or leaked is there a possibility that they could be causing this error due to bad quality?

My plan is to solder new capacitors on there but if someone already know at this stage that it won't help it would save me some time.

BR

Keep your soldering iron cold and take it back to Apple for a replacement!