$25 for a CD? GRRR!!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
No wonder piracy abounds. I go into HMV, spot the Datsuns cd at a listening station (love the track "MF From Hell" on Q's "best of the best" disc) listen to the first track, love that, too, pick up the CD, flip it around, and it's HK$180!

It's shitty things like this that tempt me to pirate music.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Most of the CD's I come across at US$11.99. Certainly no more than $15. Granted, I buy discount, but why not? It's not difficult to buy discount.

The higher prices in HK may well be due to the rampant piracy that goes on in China.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    there are other reasons for piracy - You get an assorted mix of the best songs in one CD.

really tempting I must say.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    the average price of cds at stores around here seem to be about $14-15. now, this is the price at walmart for cr*p cds i dont care about. when i go to look for a cd that's had to find, that's not in best buy, i have to go to a real music store--that's where it's around $17-18 and i almost puke all over the displays. and then i go to barnes & noble and find a 150 page book costing $9, and i go home and shoot myself...
  • Reply 4 of 24
    shit... i usually buy cds direct from the UK it ends up being cheaper than US prices, even including postage if i buy a couple. it's a joke. evil record companies
  • Reply 5 of 24
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    CD's are really expensive in Australia. Any chart CD is around $29.95au and many others like Dave Matthews Band or any Dance Compilations are $39.95. It shits me when I buy a cd for $29.95 and within a few days its down to $19

HMW is go tho, when they have 2CDs for $50 or 2DVDs for $50 in Aus!
  • Reply 6 of 24
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    So what do you figure is a fair price for a CD today? Yes, record companies have gouged us silly for so many years...but artists need to make a living and there are still associated costs in marketing a CD.

Here in Canada, CD's go for about $15-19 each. Personally, I think something around $7 is a fair price to get people to stop pirating music.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>So what do you figure is a fair price for a CD today? Yes, record companies have gouged us silly for so many years...but artists need to make a living and there are still associated costs in marketing a CD.

Here in Canada, CD's go for about $15-19 each. Personally, I think something around $7 is a fair price to get people to stop pirating music.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah, but no matter what price they charge, the artists get very little of it. when they hike up the prices, guess who gets all that extra money?? not the artists, who should be getting it...
  • Reply 8 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:

<strong>yeah, but no matter what price they charge, the artists get very little of it. when they hike up the prices, guess who gets all that extra money?? not the artists, who should be getting it... </strong><hr></blockquote>

But something needs to be done. Pirating won't help artists either. A couple of independant artist have put out their own CD without a record label. They reap all the money, but they basically have to hit all the radio stations themselves to promote the CD.

Ironically, they are still charging about the same price as the labels do.
  • Reply 9 of 24

<strong>

Ironically, they are still charging about the same price as the labels do.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i'd pay them more if this were the case. i'd rather the people who make the music get all the money instead of the music industry sh*theads who know nothing about quality music.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    prices here range from 13-18.

usually 15 or 16 though.... it's ridiculous.

i buy CDs but I would buy many more if they were less.

Over the summer, where I was they had a CD discount/blowout.... everything was 8-10 bucks....... I bought more CDs in those 8 weeks than I have in the last few years.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

Over the summer, where I was they had a CD discount/blowout.... everything was 8-10 bucks....... I bought more CDs in those 8 weeks than I have in the last few years.</strong><hr></blockquote>

awesome. this was in palo alto?

what store was that?
  • Reply 12 of 24
    it was actually on campus at the bookstore...

was great.... picked up a lot of CDs i was always on the edge of buying but never did since id didnt want to spend so much on something i may not like. of course i liked everything i bought so....
  • Reply 13 of 24

<strong>it was actually on campus at the bookstore...

was great.... picked up a lot of CDs i was always on the edge of buying but never did since id didnt want to spend so much on something i may not like. of course i liked everything i bought so.... </strong><hr></blockquote>

ahh, yes i remember that store now...

were the cds on the second floor? i havent been there in years...still trying to remember the lay out of campus in my head...

my favorite place to shop in california is the stanford mall. did u get a chance to go there at all? i loved the atmosphere of that place. u cant find an outdoor unenclosed mall like that here cause of all the damn rain, but man, i just love the feeling of being in an "outdoor hallway."

[ 01-12-2003: Message edited by: _ alliance _ ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 24

<strong>

i buy CDs but I would buy many more if they were less.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

You'd think the record labels would finally get this through their greedy thick skulls! But no, they're still trying to find out some way to stop peer to peer or some online pay for music service.

Most people know it's wrong to steal. And most would love to support the artists. With technology (pro tools etc.),artists can put out their own CD's so easily today. Record companies might find themselves extinct if they don't start changing their mind set.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member

<strong>Record companies might find themselves extinct if they don't start changing their mind set.</strong><hr></blockquote>

and that wouldn't be that bad either...
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Burningwheel said " i usually buy cds direct from the UK it ends up being cheaper than US prices, even including postage"

No matter how hard i try i can't get my head round that one- UK CD prices are way too high- when i was in the States I freaked at the difference. The Office of Fair Trading investigated the UK industry and gave them a clean bill of health- but it still feels like a rip-off here.
  • Reply 17 of 24

<strong>

ahh, yes i remember that store now...

were the cds on the second floor? i havent been there in years...still trying to remember the lay out of campus in my head...

my favorite place to shop in california is the stanford mall. did u get a chance to go there at all? i loved the atmosphere of that place. u cant find an outdoor unenclosed mall like that here cause of all the damn rain, but man, i just love the feeling of being in an "outdoor hallway."

[ 01-12-2003: Message edited by: _ alliance _ ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

CDs are now on the first floor (main floor as there are 2 levels down and one terrace level with apple and a coffee bar).... perhaps they used to be where all the computer stuff is now..... for the summer they sold all the CDs outside of the store though... was nice...

yea, the mall is so cool simply because its all outdoors.... went there a lot (most of the time not by choice )

weird.... my gf lives in LA and she showed me her school when i was there.... her school has no hallways... you go outside and then to your next class... each class is just a door on the sidewalk paths.... i guess cuz it rarely rains they can do that..... i thought it was so cool.
  • Reply 18 of 24

<strong>

weird.... my gf lives in LA and she showed me her school when i was there.... her school has no hallways... you go outside and then to your next class... each class is just a door on the sidewalk paths.... i guess cuz it rarely rains they can do that..... i thought it was so cool.</strong><hr></blockquote>

thats how all california schools are. when i moved to texas i couldnt believe that everything was so enclosed. i was so used to walking from building to building to go to class. one of my favorite things about it was eating lunch outside. now, here, there are these damn cafeterias everywhere...
  • Reply 19 of 24

<strong>

thats how all california schools are. when i moved to texas i couldnt believe that everything was so enclosed. i was so used to walking from building to building to go to class. one of my favorite things about it was eating lunch outside. now, here, there are these damn cafeterias everywhere...</strong><hr></blockquote>

jeez, i feel so deprived
  • Reply 20 of 24

<strong>

jeez, i feel so deprived </strong><hr></blockquote>

as you should.