Advice on multiple camcorder feeds over multiple days

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am in a position where I have to record 1080p video from 9 camcorders for 12 hours a day over the course of 4 days. Ideally, the system would be set up in the morning and turned off at night, but left running throughout the entire day. Does anyone know if it's possible to hook an external hard drive directly to a camcorder? Any make or model is helpful, as I haven't yet purchased the equipment. Would I be better off recording these cameras to a computer? If so, how many computers would be required?

Any and all information is helpful. I have not provided details to equipment because all of the equipment will be purchased pending the solution. Exchanging CF cards or dumping video throughout the day is not a viable option at this time.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Wow. You'll need to use camcorders connected directly to a computer. This way you can ensure you can review the data from time to time through the day.

There are many ways of recording live from camera to computer. You'll have to record directly to a RAID hooked up to the computer(s). Depending on compression and formats, you'll then have to copy the files from the RAID setup to another archival RAID.

Software wise, you could use Adobe OnLocation CS5 which is part of Adobe Premiere Pro. That's for location shoots recording from camera straight to computer.

Of course, multiple cameras and such a long time of recording makes things a little more complicated.

Good luck!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    http://www.hdmonitorpro.com/HDMonitorPro/Features.html could be used, just something I found... Does not mention multiple cameras though.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    You could get multiple ethernet security cameras that do 1080p - some have PoE so you don't have to attach a power supply if you can get the right setup to supply power over the ethernet cable.

The D-Link DCS-3716/B does 1080p with PoE.

Then you can hook it up to software like this using the always flexible Mac Mini:

http://www.bensoftware.com/securitys...viewindex.html

Are you talking about surveillance or full quality live video?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    What you need are GoPro's. Thier cheap, awesome quality and you can connect external batteries and drives to extend their range. Easy to connect to a junction box that allows up to a hundred GoPros connected to a single recording box, as long as the machine has the power of course. Sport teams, Hollywood stuntman, nature photographers, you name it their used for it.

Check them out I think it's right up your alley.