Any fellow 3G owners waiting for the 4s/5?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Man, I purchased my 3G back in August 2008. My poor phone is on its last leg. About the only functionality it still has is texting, reading emails, and playing 3 card poker while I'm on the crapper.

I originally planned to get the 4 last year, but then all the hating started and I decided to wait it out.

Now they're saying September. Whoa- I'm afraid my old 3G won't make it that much longer.

Any other 3G owners in the same boat? What are yall going to do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    yes, similar reasons, i listened to the hype about verizon thought i'd get a better deal

waited and guess what att after 6 years saves me 15-20 over verizon

well all this waiting

NOT having the ip4 is a pain, both my wife's and my phone are doing just fine

i'll hold out but i really think after the mess of last year outing of the ip4 that apple is

making double effort at keeping ip5 underwraps, SJ likes the show

i believe that SJ will show a new updated phone and i'll get 2 if not.... sept not that far away

here is to a great june

no matter what they say i won't get any android anything, its just going back to the virus laden MS mess

i'm loyal to the core, no pun intended i've been impressed with apple since 1984

SJ will surprise
  • Reply 2 of 4
    mfterkamfterka Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appstate98 View Post

Man, I purchased my 3G back in August 2008. My poor phone is on its last leg. About the only functionality it still has is texting, reading emails, and playing 3 card poker while I'm on the crapper.

I originally planned to get the 4 last year, but then all the hating started and I decided to wait it out.

Now they're saying September. Whoa- I'm afraid my old 3G won't make it that much longer.

Yup - iPhone 3G July 2009 for $90 when I did my upgrade. It was my first smart phone and I guess since the 3GS had been released a week before ATT were dumping the spare 3G's. I wasn't smart enough to do much research as like I said it was my first smart phone but I still don't regret my purchase.

But 3G or not I was hooked and wondered how in 30 years of using cell phones I had survived to this point.

Now my contract is well timed - up in July 2011 and after using a 3G for the last couple of years you bet I can wait until Sept/Oct for the next gen to come out.

I hear ya about its operations - its getting pretty skimpy holding a charge - I can go 48 hrs with limited use but usually have to recharge every 24 or so hrs. Also, application use

is a little shakey sometimes as I suspect its because the phone isn't on the latest OS 4X

system as the 3G isn't supported.

But not so much that like I said I can't wait until the fall. I bet when I do upgrade it will be like going from a Model T to a modern corvette
  • Reply 3 of 4
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    I did until about 4 weeks ago when I got an offer for a second hand 3GS that I simply could not refuse. What a difference. The 3G I got the day it came out here in Switzerland had become unbearable.

Now I guess I'm going to wait for the 5G or even 6G, depending on how the 3GS continues to perform with subsequent updates.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appstate98 View Post

I was without my iPhone 4 for a few days, using my iPhone 3G. It was impossible. If you really can't use your iPhone 3G anymore, get the iPhone 4 but be prepared to upgrade/ fight for stock/ etc. when the iPhone 4S is announced because you may really want that.

Conversely, at least wait until WWDC this June. I don't think a new iPhone will be announced, but even if it comes around September do keep in mind that's only a few months away.

At the end of the day, if you are a heavy texter, game, app and web smartphone user the iPhone 3G by now is too far behind for heavy use. Especially with iOS 4. I don't know if it was on purpose or an oversight, but iOS 4 essentially killed the 3G.

Personally I would not recommend a 3GS instead of an iPhone 4 but if you get a good deal on the 3GS and it's still covered by warranty, the 3GS would be worth considering to "tide you over" until the iPhone 4S